Author Topic: Are we relying too much on technology?  (Read 255 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Are we relying too much on technology?
« on: September 22, 2024, 02:42:59 PM »
Technology plays a huge part in our lives nowadays but is ALL of it necessary or has some of it gone too far?

From self driving cars {heaven forbid} to automated manufacturing {what we have left of it}, we will soon get to the point where nobody actually GOES to work anymore those that do will work from home, as was proved can happen during Covid, I understand Amazon are having trouble getting some of their workforce to come back in to work from Covid.

When I was a kid a good 80% of the adult population of this country were working, plus we were still recovering from a manpower shortage after the war, at least 30% of those working were women and at least 65% of those women worked just for the N.H.S. alone, others secretarial, and the rest in manufacturing. My wife left school, started at Trebor then into clothing manufacturing then got married and had kids and some time later spent many years at Robinsons.
This was because there were jobs aplenty and they had to be filled. look what's happened since in Chesterfield alone, Lamp caps, Donkins, Sheepridge works, the collieries and yes Robinsons to name but a few, Admittedly not all succumbed to automation but even without automation those jobs have gone never to reappear.

You can rely on computers and technology all you want but at the end of the day give me a human on the other end of the phone, just give me something that says "Made in Britain" and not by a robot.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • Water please Not wine
    • View Profile
Re: Are we relying too much on technology?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2024, 01:08:54 PM »
I agree Sorastro, we have new businesses hopefully coming into Clay Cross but will they maintain their presence.
So many are buying over the internet now and driving businesses out.
I had a belly full during Covid when I ordered and had delivered my groceries. Veg was what ever they put their hands on first looking at what I had delivered. Somethings out of stock not giving me the chance to browse for something else.
Clothes I like to look at and shoes - I won't buy online.
I order occasionally items which I would struggle to buy in shops.
We no longer use Royal Mail unless really necessary we send emails.
The children are spending too much time playing on games in their bedrooms. as children we were outside interacting with other children and taking an interest in nature and enjoying back to basic fun.
I post old photographs  on Tupton pictures and the interest and memories an old photograph brings is proof we enjoyed a good fun childhood.
I feel sorry for the children of today - they don't know what they are missing out on.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: Are we relying too much on technology?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2024, 08:18:34 PM »
I've said it before O.C. peoples lives now rest on a thirteen amp fus
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk