Author Topic: Could you live on £25 a week?  (Read 1317 times)

who can tell

• View Profile
Could you live on £25 a week?
« on: April 18, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »
Been reading the Mirror a women claims she can live on £25 a week for food shopping. Buys reduced then freezes the food she brought . Could you do it?
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Could you live on £25 a week?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 05:53:15 PM »
I think that's doable . Might have to miss out with a few of the luxuries though  :(
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

handy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 07:01:03 PM »
You could but it would  be cheap basic meals beans on toast etc chip butties not a healthy diet at all.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:02:36 PM »
It wouldn't be easy would it.

As handy says much would be basic cheap foods but if you can pick up the meat/fish supermarkets are selling off, bulk it out with plenty of veg and potatoes so it makes more than one meal - there could be some decent meals thrown in.

I actually picked up some fresh fish from Tesco's last week at a really cut down price and yes I froze some of it, but the Salmon we ate with a salad and baby potatoes the same day - and there was plenty of Salmon for the price.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:38:23 PM »
Reading the article the lady brought reduced veg then froze it. She did not use freezer bags or freeze shellfish my partner freezes bread and other bits . I think my family would be hard pressed to live on £25 a week given how my daughter loves her chocolates not the cheap ones got to be Thornton's.
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 10:02:45 PM »
I thought you was asking if we(singular) could live on £25, not the family LOL  C:-)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 08:53:16 AM »
I thought you was asking if we(singular) could live on £25, not the family LOL  C:-)

So did I fly.
The interesting thing on this is that for two it would be £50.00 and I think easier to do.

There are only certain Vegetables which I would freeze as many hold water which makes them soggy - even after 'Blanching' I don't really buy shellfish but I do make up batches of food such as Shepherds Pies and freeze them - it saves on energy and is handy for tea if I have a busy day. The reduced fish I bought from Tesco was Salmon, Finny Haddock, Mackerel and Cod.

Currently have two batches of home made soup in the freezer - One Broccoli and the other Leek - think there's about 6 pots in there in total.

Today I have a 750 gr of Minced steak out of the freezer which I bought when it was on offer.

I now have choices - Shepherds Pie's? Burgers? Lasagna? Meat Balls? Pasties? Spag Bol? It will when bulked out with veg make more than two meals.

Guess what I'm doing today  ;D

I use my freezer quite a bit -

Thornton's Chocolate is good but I prefer Cadbury's  ;)
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk