Author Topic: Co-Op Transformed  (Read 4073 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Co-Op Transformed
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »
We have lift off for the Co-op in town.

Work will start quite soon according to the D.T.
 Pretty quick turn around for Chesterfield as I think it only closed in 2013?

I'm wondering if it will be profitable though, no car park for guests and multiple eating places - what kind of clientele will it attract.

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/grassroots/co-op-conversion-20million-work-to-revitalise-chesterfield-landmark-to-start-imminently-1-7695340
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Co-Op Transformed
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 04:09:25 PM »
I welcome the news - here's what the developers Jomast say on their website:-
Jomast Developments has announced plans to convert an iconic landmark into a mixed leisure and restaurant scheme, which will breathe life back into Chesterfield town centre and mark a new future for one of its much-loved buildings.
A planning application has been submitted to Chesterfield Borough Council to convert the former 1930s, Mock-Tudor former Co-op department store on the town’s Elder Way site, which has been empty since its closure in 2013.
Jomast is planning a sensitive approach to refurbishing the existing building, maintaining the majority of its original features throughout the development process.
The scheme will include an 89 bedroom hotel; six family restaurants, of between 2,900 sq. ft. and 4,000 sq. ft. in size; and a 16,000 sq. ft. health and fitness unit in the basement of the building.
On completion of the development in late 2016 the town is expected to become home to the seventh largest retail centre within the East Midlands.
Adam Hearld, Development Director for Jomast, said: “This is a hugely exciting opportunity to recondition a significant landmark building and create a vibrant leisure destination comprising restaurants, a hotel and health and fitness accommodation in the heart of Chesterfield town centre. As a result of its positioning we expect to see the town gain increasing influence in the County of Derbyshire, helping boost Chesterfield’s retail and leisure footprint for locals and visitors alike.
“We are in the process of talking to a number of established national operators who are keen to relocate to the town and benefit from a market which has considerable potential.”
Councillor John Burrows, Chesterfield Borough Council’s leader and cabinet member for regeneration, said: “Our economic development and planning teams have done a huge amount of work behind the scenes with the Midlands Co-operative to enable us to get to a day where a planning application can be submitted that proposes a new future for this important site within the town.
“However, as with all planning applications, the council’s planning committee will have to consider the application with an open mind, balancing all aspects of the scheme, and taking into account the opinions of the public, businesses and other bodies, before coming to a decision.”
A planning application to Chesterfield Borough Council was submitted on 19 October 2015 with a decision expected to be made within eight weeks. During this period there will be a 21 day consultation with the public, businesses and other interested parties.

You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 05:52:24 PM »
Reading the last half it's not cut and dried yet - or is it?

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 06:41:45 PM »
I think it is - unless I'm told otherwise ;)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:14:25 PM »
From the DT
“Talks are at a fairly advanced stage with a number of businesses to occupy the hotel, restaurants and health and fitness area. We can’t yet reveal who we’re talking to as discussions are ongoing.

We’re also working on a scheme to improve the public realm of that area.

When both these elements are complete, we’ll be starting work."

If one of these elements 'on the public realm' means pedestrianisation, I'm sure Stagecoach and the taxi fraternity will find out soon  ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 09:57:53 PM »
Elder way bus wise is always busy - 10's for the most part are still every 10 minutes during the daytime. I don't see the development particularly affecting bus/taxi travel until it's established in terms of businesses in there that are open daytime/nightime.
We will wait and see :-\

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 07:46:08 PM »
Would it have to be pedestrianised ? Why ?
People who stay have luggage.

I'm wondering about the '6 family restaurants err

McD's ?
Pizza Hut ?
Kentucky Fried Chicken ?
Chinese ?
A Steak House ?
Harry Ramsdens ?

Does it warrant six?

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 09:03:44 AM »
Seem to remember the initials artists impressions of the development including a Smokehouse BBQ type place...the one in Sheffield is really good so that would be a very good addition.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 10:02:56 AM »
Seem to remember the initials artists impressions of the development including a Smokehouse BBQ type place...the one in Sheffield is really good so that would be a very good addition.

Never heard of that bransoj, sounds like something different though so if that happened I bet it would be a favourite

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 01:33:19 PM »
This is the place :-
http://smokebbq.co.uk/

We went last year i think it was and its very good. Friend works in a office close by as well and basically spends all day being very hungry from the smells coming out of their kitchen!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 06:51:46 PM »
Looks like a fair amount of junk food in there, I suspect it will be quite a popular addition into Chesterfield.

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 09:45:52 PM »
Certainly wasn't junk food I had. Well cooked quality meat with sides of various types.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 11:12:23 AM »
Do they serve jacket potato's and mash with selection of chicken ( not fried etc) Sorry I only noticed served with twice cooked chips - maybe I need to delve a bit deeper into the menue's

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »
There was chicken but only BBQ chicken and i didnt bother with it. I was on one of the "Pit Plates" with pulled pork and some additions if i remember correctly washed down with some Thornbridge beer!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 01:44:03 PM »
I would maybe enjoyed the pulled Pork ( keep meaning to try it ) or Chicken. I rarely eat chips so mine would be with a salad - the wine however is definitely my choice - well not Chardonnay but the other two would go down very nicely thank you! ;)  (y)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk