Author Topic: Smart Meter  (Read 12316 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Smart Meter
« on: August 24, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »
We did apply to have one installed after having another email. This time the link worked and they are coming tomorrow to install it.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

handy

• View Profile
Re: Smart Meter
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »
Its mainly for your supplier,saves them sending a man to read your meter, had one a couple of years.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
Or in the case of Ovo saves me sending a reading. Would advise taking photograph of final readings on old one because they cocked mine up and reckoned I owed hundreds

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »
I already send a monthly read in but thought I had read I still had to send them?
Thanks for the tip Andy, I'll tel hubby to get his camera out!

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 01:28:50 PM »
Resurrecting an old thread, I find the current tv advertising incredulous that they can promise homeowners potentially big savings on their energy bills.

I had them fitted shortly before my cancer surgery so, should anything untoward have happened, it'd be one thing less (reading meters) for my wife to do. The fitters arrived and, as the meters are behind a kitchen cupboard, I was told that I'd need a piece cutting out of the bottom shelf to facilitate fitting of the gas meter.

On their second visit, both meters were fitted, but there was no need for the shelf to be cut up, as the gas meter fitted fine.

Anyway everything was eventually set up, (as the energy company couldn't get the in home display to show the correct tariffs).

All went well until I switched supplier and my meters reverted to being 'dumb', so I was back to providing my supplier with meter reads! Who in their right mind allowed such a huge project to take place with each supplier using their own version of smart meters. I now refuse the current badgering by my supplier to have replacement meters. Apparently there's a nationwide upgrade to all 1st generation meters due sometime in 2019/20, which will make them once again smart meters.

So, all in all, a huge c**k up! Now, they're promising fantastic savings - I for one don't need a visible display to tell me to switch the lights off or turn the heating off when I don't need them. Indeed my in home display was put in the pantry out of the way!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:32:04 PM by Alsatian »
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 01:29:23 PM »
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 04:10:00 PM »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 07:47:34 PM »
Alsatian  I am in exactly the same position as you.When I had both meters fitted  I was unaware that  they are not compatible with other suppliers.I have  since changed suppliers  and I am being pestered to have new meters fitted.I flatly refuse to  budge until the second generation ones arrive(if  ever).Until then I will continue on my handa and knees with torch in hand pressing the number 9 button  so my  usage figures appear.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 08:33:44 PM »
What he said lol  :)) >;

Senior moment (again!) I pressed quote instead of modify and then couldn't get rid of the post!  >;

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 09:20:03 PM »
lol Alsatian  ;)

Back on topic. I phoned Eon some months ago and told them we didn't want one fitting 'at this time'.
Apparently that's fine. No-one has to have one fitted. I also can't see how it would save you money ?
Just companies making the meters profit, and some jobs. I wonder if there made in the UK  ::)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 06:51:46 PM »
Mine were made by Siemens in Germany and installed by them from their Nottingham office.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 03:00:04 AM »
I didn't know they were just for the company who had them put in - we are with OVO and well satisfied with them so not planning on changing suppliers for the foreseeable future.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 09:52:29 PM »
Using this thread..........

I changed my utility company a few weeks before Xmas, as whilst I was with Coop Energy my D/D was constantly going in the wrong direction. I finally called it a day with them when they asked for £140 per month.
I changed to Peoples Energy as, according to them, the savings would be in the region of £400 per year and judging by the difference in the D/D that seemed the case. They took the first months payment out the day I started with them, which I wasn't overly happy about but at least I was in credit.
I received an E mail from them about 10 days ago saying {due to the market prices} my D/D is to increase in February, so I've threatened to leave and go somewhere else, unfortunately having read that the best of the small utility companies IS actually Peoples Energy, I'm in a bit of a quandary.

I do realise that I'm obviously using more utilities than I used too as we are now both retired. before we used less as we were always at work and the house stood empty for long periods of time throughout the week.
I think I will try to get them to re consider, if not I have a list of companies that are around the mark I'm looking for.

I certainly wouldn't get anything off a "compare" website, as they obviously want their cut.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 11:17:38 PM »
I certainly wouldn't get anything off a "compare" website, as they obviously want their cut.

Don't ignore the 'Compare' websites. They only get a small commission per referral, they do(not have a 'cut' so to speak), it's the number of referrals they do that make them their profits.
Plus you might get a free Meerkat cuddly toy for the grandkids. Simples  (y) ;)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 09:21:34 AM »
We chose OVO from compare site and have been happy with them.
We like the fact that any monies accrued in our account with them gets a teeny bit of interests and we have two choices. Either claim it back or roll it over for the coming winter which as we know we use more energy.
They don't keep putting monthly amount up or taking it down. It's been consistent for several years now

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk