Author Topic: 20 MPH Speed limits to our villages  (Read 3176 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
20 MPH Speed limits to our villages
« on: August 19, 2015, 04:58:54 PM »
With the young racers we have around at the moment in our village I'm thinking this isn't maybe such a bad idea.
Obviously the speed bumps Derbyshire has around are not enough.

Derbyshire County Council is reviewing the use of 20mph speed limits in Derbyshire following requests from a number of communities to introduce 20mph speed limits in their area.

Councils are encouraged by the Department for Transport to consider the introduction of more 20mph limits on residential streets (provided that they are not part of a major through route) and in other parts of the country some councils have introduced signed-only 20mph speed limits without speed humps.

The Council would like to hear your views about the possible introduction of 20mph speed limits on residential streets in Derbyshire.  Please note that local residents would be consulted before any 20mph limits were introduced in a particular area and any decision would take into account local circumstances.

Please tell us what you think.  Remember we are talking about 20mph speed limits, without speed humps, on residential streets that are not part of a major through route.
Cllr Kevin Gillott
Chair of the Improvement and Scrutiny Committee - Places
Derbyshire County Council
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: 20 MPH Speed limits to our villages
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 06:22:38 PM »
With the young racers we have around at the moment in our village I'm thinking this isn't maybe such a bad idea.
Obviously the speed bumps Derbyshire has around are not enough.

Derbyshire County Council is reviewing the use of 20mph speed limits in Derbyshire following requests from a number of communities to introduce 20mph speed limits in their area.

Councils are encouraged by the Department for Transport to consider the introduction of more 20mph limits on residential streets (provided that they are not part of a major through route) and in other parts of the country some councils have introduced signed-only 20mph speed limits without speed humps.

The Council would like to hear your views about the possible introduction of 20mph speed limits on residential streets in Derbyshire.  Please note that local residents would be consulted before any 20mph limits were introduced in a particular area and any decision would take into account local circumstances.

Please tell us what you think.  Remember we are talking about 20mph speed limits, without speed humps, on residential streets that are not part of a major through route.
Cllr Kevin Gillott
Chair of the Improvement and Scrutiny Committee - Places
Derbyshire County Council
I guess we need it (unfortunately), particularly at night time. I was on lates last night until 11.45 and saw numerous "hot" hatches screaming around - irrespective of the wet conditions,  some in convoy. One even turned right past me at a junction (I was at a stop giving right of way), and the driver came round me with his obligatory three pals, and gave me the finger. Why, I don't know? I just thought I hope your OK next time you find yourself upside down in a hedge bottom :(
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:16:32 PM »
From what ocals are saying it is the same young ones who are chasing around the village, the only speed bumps we have are on the main road through from Grassmoor to Derby Road.
Someone will get seriously hurt or worse.
I doubt that dropping the speed limit will stop them though.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 11:04:52 PM »
Well, I hate to say it, but maybe the morons who drive too fast will find out the hard way. I noticed lots of police cars parked up in various locations last night and following drivers too. :-\

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:47:38 AM »
If they are speeding around ignoring 30mph limit signs why would changing them to read 20mph make any difference...surely they will just continue to ignore them no matter what they say and lowering the limit just impacts on those that do obey the 30mph limits.

Those "racing around" need to be dealt with properly before they hurt someone else or themselves really rather than changing limits they are already ignoring.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 11:39:37 AM »
Agree with bransoj.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »
You can tell them what you think in this link.

https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=143825597392

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »
About 10 years ago I toyed with the idea of being a Driving Instructor. Unemployed at the time so I could not follow it trough completeley - I could not afford the training fees - simple. What I  gleaned at the time was the term "defensive driving", in other words driving in a manner that does not cause problems to other drivers-that's how you pass your test.
I went on to pass my PCV test (Coach,Bus) in 2005 instead.
You should see the reaction on the face of a Citroen Saxo driver trying to out chicken an 11 ton bus!
I love my job ;D

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 01:59:15 AM »
A couple of days ago on the 96 I had one of those Trident Double Deckers (gets a lot of students on it so they put a big bus on) which weighs around 12 tons. Approaching Gate Inn at North Wingfield from Locko Brook I'm doing 20 mph a silver astra ( no indicators) coming from the opposite direction turned right straight in front of me in to a drive forcing me into an emergency stop. I was so close to the car that I could see the baby in the back seat, and the male driver again giving me the one fingered salute with his electric fag in his other hand!
He thought it was funny, or big bollocks bravado, but (no cctv on this bus) what if I'd been there a second or so earlier & we had crashed?
Luckily I was slowing down for the junction at the "Gate"., but the smug bastards gesture really got to me with having an infant in the car as well! >:(

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 10:59:19 PM »
Its illegal to use a hand held phone while driving - people still do it.
The speed limit is 70mph on a UK motorway - people will still go faster.

Reducing the speed to 20mph, the only difference will be some new signs.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 10:15:40 AM »
We need vehicles which register the speed limits and cut back automatically - now that would frustrate some!!

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 01:47:15 PM »
We need vehicles which register the speed limits and cut back automatically - now that would frustrate some!!
Until it does it pulling out of a junction and leaves you stuck in the middle of the road with a truck coming!  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk