Author Topic: Any info on the lost village of Wolley, Amber Valley/ Ogston Reservoir?  (Read 3496 times)

rocky wolfbanger

• Rocky Wolfbanger show has arrived in town !
    • View Profile
Apparently when Orgston reservoir was built in the 1950s a village called Wolley was drowned. Been googling to find any info or pics but as so far found nothings anyone know anything or seen anything?

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
My daughter lives by Ogsden, I'll ask her next time I see her.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile

I'm thinking of Woolley Moor, we used to go to the White Horse pub a few years ago, it used to be a lovely meal and very popular, not been for a long time so can't comment on it now.

See below

The present village of Woolley Moor, is dominated and has been influenced by the construction of Ogston Reservoir in 1958. It is situated close to the Derbyshire Peak District and just a few miles from Chesterfield, Alfreton, Clay Cross and Matlock. It is a village that is immediately attractive to visitors and we hope you will explore it with us, enjoying not only its present attractions but also its fascinating history.

The original Woolley Moor Trail was a circular local history walk created in 2003 by Stretton Handley C of E Primary School. You can still follow the original trail by using the information below. The Trail was updated as an audio tour in 2010 through the NE Derbyshire’s Hidden Gems project. The slightly modified route, marked by numbered plaques bearing the new school logo, draws upon the original trail written by Mrs H T Badhams as well as including additional information and interviews with members of the community. You can find further information and download a map for the trail on the Hidden Gems web site. There are also laminated maps available in a box outside the school (please return these after your walk).

The Original Woolley Moor Trail

(Written by a previous Head Teacher of the school, Mrs H T Badhams)

Our trail was marked with posts bearing the Stretton Handley School logo “The Grebe”, which also marked points of particular interest. We hope you will be encouraged to research to extend your knowledge and create activities from the information we have given you. Schools can use our trail to cover Attainment Targets in many curriculum areas at different levels. Most of the information we give you is from the local residents upon whose memories we have drawn.
Woolley Moor Trail map

Some of our trail is along narrow lanes which have sharp bends and no pavements. Remember to face the on coming traffic and to keep children and animals under control. You are also advised to dress sensibly for all weathers and wear strong footwear.The sections of the trail that lead from the A61 across Handley Fields Farm and Well Lane could prove difficult for elderly or infirm walkers or people with push chairs. They are also very muddy in wet weather. In both cases you can enjoy the trail by using the road.

The one and a half mile circular trail begins and ends in front of the school situated off Beresford Lane in the heart of the village. You can navigate the Trail online by clicking an area of interest on the map below or take a tour of the whole trail by clicking on the grebe logo at the bottom of each page.

History of Woolley Moor

Theories exist as to the origin of the name Woolley Moor. Some say it comes from tufts of sheep wool caught on the brambles on the moor. Others say it comes from the Old English words ‘wul au leah’ meaning wolves clearing!

The village has existed since medieval times but the present village of Woolley Moor is very different from the one that existed before the construction of Ogston Reservoir in 1958. At present it takes in the hamlets of Handley, Woolley Moor and Woolley, consisting of about 140 dwellings in total. Most of the original Woolley was demolished to make the reservoir. Woolley Moor used to be towards the bottom of Temperance Hill; and the present village was known as Badger Lane extending from the Toll House to the White Horse Inn.

The small community of Badger Lane stayed virtually the same until 1945-50. The road towards Stretton had been made wider in the late 30′s, renamed Ashover New Road and properties built along it. When Ogston Reservoir was built people from the village of Woolley were rehoused in council property on Badger Lane and in consequence Badger Lane and Woolley with Woolley Moor became one community known as Woolley Moor.

The old lady with the wonky middle finger

poppy

• View Profile
This advert from 1904 would seem to suggest that it did exist

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Part of the Ogston Hall estate was lost when they put in the reservoir.

Is there any chance Wolley is now changed to Woolley Moor?

Just found this in Wikipedia

The River Amber valley was flooded in 1958 and completely submerged farmland, roads and part of the Ashover Light Railway. The Ogston Reservoir also destroyed most of the village of Woolley, including the Woolley House Hydro, the village store, the blacksmiths, the joiners, the laundry, the sheep-dip and Napoleons Home, the local public house. The Woolley villagers were relocated into council houses built in another local hamlet, Badger Lane, which eventually became known as the village of Woolley on the Moor, and subsequently became the present village of Woolley Moor, although on the 1891 census, many people living in Shirland, Stonebroom & Stretton are shown to have been born at Wooley Moor, as well as at Woolley. This suggests that a village of that name existed long before the flooding of the valley. Over the years Woolley Moor has had a number of shops and a post office although these have been transformed into normal houses since the 1980s. There was also another public house named 'The New Napoleon' which closed for good after a period of uncertainty in the late noughties.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:16:08 PM by Old Cruser »
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Slacker

• View Profile
I was trying to think of the name of that pub the other week. Remember going to it some years ago, nice setting.

There was also the Hideaway on Highstairs lane which converted to a private house

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk