Author Topic: Cameron launches election campaign with swipes at Miliband  (Read 1471 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
In a sign that the Tories will run a highly personalised campaign against Ed Miliband, the prime minister took the rare step amid the formalities of the day to name check the Labour leader on three occasions on the Downing Street steps.

“You can choose an economy that grows, that creates jobs, that generates the money to ensure a properly funded and improving NHS, a government that will cut taxes for 30 million hardworking people and a country that is safe and secure. Or you can choose the economic chaos of Ed Miliband’s Britain — over £3,000 in higher taxes for every working family to pay for more welfare and out of control spending. Debt will rise and jobs will be lost as a result.”

The highly partisan remarks by Cameron, which contrast with speeches by his predecessors who usually try to place themselves above the political fray in such circumstances, show that the Tories believe they have their work cut out to deliver one of their key messages of the campaign. This is that voters face a binary choice between Cameron and Miliband.

Frightened/desparate?

http://bit.ly/1Mnkf5l
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

therealjr

• View Profile
Re: Cameron launches election campaign with swipes at Miliband
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 02:38:55 PM »
No, perfectly obvious tactics. There's no way that 5 more years of Tory rule should be palatable to anyone except the most rabid of right wingers. The Tories know this so they figure they need to frighten the electorate with something every more unpalatable. Obviously this isn't a labour government but they believe it is a labour government led by Milliband which will be totally beholden to the unions. They were the ones who put him in power and they will want their pound of flesh if he wins.  If they can sell a return to the dark ages of the left wing 70's they might just do enough to hang on to power either on their own or in another coalition.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
I don't doubt that Jon.

It was  "The highly partisan remarks by Cameron, which contrast with speeches by his predecessors who usually try to place themselves above the political fray in such circumstances" that caught my eye.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 03:36:17 PM »
Pete: such is the nature now of personality politics.
It' s easier and more effective to play the man not the ball.
nicheuk: no I doubt very much that his faith will be picked on as an issue. That would be akin to racism and as soon as that cork is out of its particular bottle it can't be put back in.
Useless, inept, weak, inexperience, reckless with the economy, at the unions beck and call? All up for grabs.
Jewish? No.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:19:15 PM »
I sympathise with Cameron losing a child but I think this gets brought up too much for political point scoring whenever the NHS gets mentioned

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 06:25:12 PM »
>> such is the nature now of personality politics.

Nah, such is the nature of a worried man. Other leaders of both parties rise above petty back-stabbing when dissolving Parliament - But not the king of the Nasty Party.

91-year-old war veteran Harry Smith at the Labour Party Conference

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 10:55:03 PM »
We could always ask Slacker if Toby Perkins would like to tell us why we should vote for Ed Milliband. Given that he was only Toby's 3rd choice (behind brother David and the other Ed) for the leadership

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 06:25:41 PM »
It could have been a close thing between several candidates and apart from David who left they work as a team, Ed doesn't bear a grudge against people who voted a different way

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 06:46:27 PM »
But the majority of the PLP and the majority of the card carrying members wanted David. Was only the block vote that got Ed home. Can't be a good feeling knowing you lead a party where 2/3rds didn't want you. Let's put it this way. If he doesn't win on May 7th he's gone by May 8th

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk