Author Topic: Smart Meters  (Read 1565 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Smart Meters
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:20:11 PM »
Does anyone use a smart meter for their energy use?
I've had an email from OVO asking if we would like one installing.

I don't know anything about them and wondered what others thought who may use them?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Smart Meters
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »
Had one fitted recently by OVO. Saves sending readings every month

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:35:19 PM »
If you want to borrow an electric smart meter, "NOT" an OVO smart meter, we have one you can use and monitor for a few month.
It's a tad awkward to set up, they all are, but it gives you an idea of what leccy you are using.
We found it makes you make sure everything gets turned off to get the numbers down  ;D

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »
The old one we had just gave us various stats, the OVO has a sim card to send readings to the provider

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 06:55:44 PM »
The old one we had just gave us various stats, the OVO has a sim card to send readings to the provider

Do you think it's useful slacker - we are debating whether to have one.
I'm wondering if hubby will get obsessed with it????

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 06:59:59 PM »
If they are free, you have nothing to lose, plus the OVO sounds like it gives you accurate uptodate bills. No more estimates.
We are with Eon and all our readings and billing is done and given online, if I remember LOL (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:15:24 PM »
I submit ours and daughters readings on line, it would save me doing ours at least and yes it's installed free

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 06:42:08 AM »
Our bills went down by about 25% after we switched from EON to OVO but they do ask for monthly readings. Smart meter will make life easier and I can't see any disadvantage

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 11:26:25 AM »
I don't mind the monthly readings as I've been doing daughters for several years now.

I changed her from B.G. at £90 month for both utilities to EDF which was initially £60 month both utilities and just signed he up again with EDF for £54 a month.
 That's a big drop in monthly payments for her - plus I applied and got her the warm homes discount for the last two years which has helped her so much as she feels the cold and heating is on all the time and higher settings than we would have ours on.

OVO say that if we have a smart meter I won't have to send the monthly readings as the meter does it for me.
May well have one put in!

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 07:45:31 PM »
I know a chap who had one installed and he writes down the figures every single day.For the first few months he was obsessed and used to sit and watch the meters figures changing.
He reliably informed me that the figures scoot round quickly when the toaster and kettle are on.I don't think he has had tea and toast for breakfast since.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 07:47:47 PM »
I know a chap who had one installed and he writes down the figures every single day.For the first few months he was obsessed and used to sit and watch the meters figures changing.
He reliably informed me that the figures scoot round quickly when the toaster and kettle are on.I don't think he has had tea and toast for breakfast since.

:)) and that's what I meant about my hubby getting obsessed with it, would drive me bonkers
First one to say I am bonkers will suffer when I see them!  :))

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »
Apart from the fridge freezer, the only thing using lecky during the day in our house was the smart meter LOL :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk