Author Topic: Bolsover Hill Challenge. Jan 29 2015  (Read 3813 times)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Bolsover Hill Challenge. Jan 29 2015
« on: January 29, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »
Imagine the scenario, the hill was mainly covered with iced slush. A dozen or more abandoned cars parked along it's length on the up hill left hand side. Cars coming down at 1-2mph, their wheels not even turning, just sliding along, pushed by gravity a couple of feet at a time. Me and Our_Lass were at the junction halfway up the hill, indicating to go left up the hill. Looking up the hill we could see parked cars, hazard lights, wheels spinning, people pushing.

Were we up the the Boza hill challenge  :)

Another taxi flashed us out and we were off. It was a very long slow process, we'd progressed about 20 yards in 15 minutes. Wheels spinning, clutches slipping as we tried to slow the wheels to get grip. Slowly the line of cars in front of us was thinning. 1 by 1 it the front car was getting a clear run and going for gold, but every now and again, one lost the fight and ended in the gutter, wheels spinning. Then the hazards. Hope gone. Journey ended.

A saviour, looking in my rear view mirror I saw an orange gritter lorry, slowly but surely making his way through the thronged traffic. As he approached, I saw the cars in front of him doing their best to move over and let the saviour through. The vehicles in front of us were doing the same. A path to the top of the challenge was being made clear. Then the gritter passed me by with is load of grit being spewed on the road behind and bouncing off the radiator grill of the bearded self centred pig headed bastard of a driver who was over taking everything in his Range Rover !!
Was another 15 mins till we made it to the top of the hill. The gritter ,and Range Rover, were nowhere to be seen.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Bolsover Hill Challenge. Jan 29 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:09:44 PM »
Terrible day for all who had to go out and about.
I spoke to a stressed support agency manager who had staff stuck all over the place and people stuck in colleges who they needed to get home.
I walked to daughters and took over her support to help agency/daughter out.
Peak 107 were kept very busy on updates and Bolsover Hill was one such problem being reported.
Stage coach reported via Peak 107 that they only had 3 services running, not sure when full services were resumed, but maybe scimitar can fill us in on that one.
I'm in Chessy tomorrow - on the bus !
Will say hello if you are around Fly  ;)

Pleased you and Mags got home safely x
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 07:38:36 PM »
Daughters back garden today

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:44:29 PM by Old Cruser »

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:47:37 PM »

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:51:58 PM »
Having problems posting the two short video's I did  :(
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:57:13 PM by Old Cruser »

Big Dave 2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 07:57:25 PM »
Fly, do you fit winter tyres? They work better whenever the temperature drops below 7C, not just in snowy or icy weather. You'd be on the top step of the winner's rostrum every year if you had them.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »
Not our vehicles(taxis) Dave. We've both been all over today with no problems. It's the ones that think 3000rpm in 1st gear will get them grip and get them moving. Especially up Bolsover Hill  ::)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »
Imagine the scenario, the hill was mainly covered with iced slush. A dozen or more abandoned cars parked along it's length on the up hill left hand side. Cars coming down at 1-2mph, their wheels not even turning, just sliding along, pushed by gravity a couple of feet at a time. Me and Our_Lass were at the junction halfway up the hill, indicating to go left up the hill. Looking up the hill we could see parked cars, hazard lights, wheels spinning, people pushing.

Were we up the the Boza hill challenge  :)

Another taxi flashed us out and we were off. It was a very long slow process, we'd progressed about 20 yards in 15 minutes. Wheels spinning, clutches slipping as we tried to slow the wheels to get grip. Slowly the line of cars in front of us was thinning. 1 by 1 it the front car was getting a clear run and going for gold, but every now and again, one lost the fight and ended in the gutter, wheels spinning. Then the hazards. Hope gone. Journey ended.

A saviour, looking in my rear view mirror I saw an orange gritter lorry, slowly but surely making his way through the thronged traffic. As he approached, I saw the cars in front of him doing their best to move over and let the saviour through. The vehicles in front of us were doing the same. A path to the top of the challenge was being made clear. Then the gritter passed me by with is load of grit being spewed on the road behind and bouncing off the radiator grill of the bearded self centred pig headed bastard of a driver who was over taking everything in his Range Rover !!
Was another 15 mins till we made it to the top of the hill. The gritter ,and Range Rover, were nowhere to be seen.

Ive a tear in my eye reading that.  Either that or its a bit of grit from a passing snowplough.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:48:28 PM by Fly »
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »
Fly, do you fit winter tyres? They work better whenever the temperature drops below 7C, not just in snowy or icy weather. You'd be on the top step of the winner's rostrum every year if you had them.

Dont need winter tyres if you know how to drive properly - which a lot of people dont.

We came back from Kent on Boxing Day in all that snow.  Less than 30mph up the M1 from J21, off at 29A, through Markham Vale and home.  Only small wheelspin was getting on to our road.  My car is pretty good in snow for a 1.7Cdti Astra. :-)
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Big Dave 2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »
Winter tyres aren't just for driving in snow. They perform better than summer tyres at temperatures below +7C - better wet grip, better braking etc. etc. Worth considering if your livelihood depends on driving I would have thought. http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/winter-tyres-in-the-uk.html

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 11:40:40 AM »
During several bad winters a number of years ago, I had winter tyres fitted to my Astra.  I must say they were a godsend!  I'm not sure how they cost out now but back then they were cheaper than normal tyres.  I guess the awkward bit is storing any tyres until you need to swop them round again.  Not everyone has a garage in which to keep them.

The only disadvantage with winter tyres (and this is minor led me add) was they produced a loud humming while driving in normal conditions.  However, I thought it was a small price to pay considering how safe I felt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk