Author Topic: State Pension Rise  (Read 2369 times)

djm

• View Profile
State Pension Rise
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »
How do Tories and LibDems sleep at night? Remember the promise from Cameron about increases in the state pension? Well mine, and many others, will increase next April by little more than 0.5%.

That is because we receive Pension Credit as we have no other source of income. We will get £2.85 rise in the basic pension per week, but £1.98 of this will be deducted from our few pounds of Pension Credit! Kept that one quiet when you made your big announcement didn't you Mr. Cameron.

Those with private pensions, multiple incomes etc. will of course get the full increase. The rich continue to get richer at the expense of the poor.

For those of you thinking of voting Tory next year, stop and think again. You could be the next one to suffer from Tory lies and deviously written announcements. Mr. Cameron, you are without doubt the most despicable MP since Thatcher.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: State Pension Rise
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:30:30 AM »
And I thought we lived in a classless country .  .  .  .

Welcome to chesterfieldonline djm  :)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum djm.  :)

Yes pensioners have to live on about £500.00 a month, not a lot if living alone.
My hubby is just starting to sort his pension out, due next March.
He actually will get LESS monthly than I get!
Not too sure how that works out as he's paid all contributions.

So they are giving with one hand and taking with another then? I didn't realise that djm, although a pensioner I'm not on pension credits so I suppose not that 'savvy' on what they are up to!!

Typical Tories smoke screen I suppose!!

Don't forget the warm homes discount if you don't already get it  ;) as pensions barely cover the extra heating elderly people need let alone all other bills.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

djm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 06:39:11 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Fly.

I think that it is pretty obvious what's going on here, in a couple of years the payment of Pension Credit will cease as the basic pension will have risen above the level where it is paid. That will be disastrous for many of the poorer pensioners as it is the link to other benefits like free optical and dental, automatic housing benefit and council tax benefit and the like. I believe it is also linked to the warm homes discount for single pensioners.

Still, I guess it will save the government a few bob that they can distribute amongst their wealthy cronies. Take care before you vote next spring, what politicians don't tell us is far more important than what they do. Can't wait for a Tory or LibDem to ring my door bell.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
>> How do Tories and LibDems sleep at night?

Because they don't care about anyone who is less well off than they are. Did they earn their wealth or did they have it handed to them on a plate by their parents?

Bunch of greedy, selfish bastards as far as I can tell.

Oh - and welcome to Chesterfield Online djm. :)
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 08:20:34 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Fly.

I think that it is pretty obvious what's going on here, in a couple of years the payment of Pension Credit will cease as the basic pension will have risen above the level where it is paid. That will be disastrous for many of the poorer pensioners as it is the link to other benefits like free optical and dental, automatic housing benefit and council tax benefit and the like. I believe it is also linked to the warm homes discount for single pensioners.

Still, I guess it will save the government a few bob that they can distribute amongst their wealthy cronies. Take care before you vote next spring, what politicians don't tell us is far more important than what they do. Can't wait for a Tory or LibDem to ring my door bell.

What's the basic pension level going up to djm, I'm not sure what the money thresh hold is before benefits stop, isn't the council tax/rent benefits means tested rather than on a monthly income?

djm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 07:44:24 PM »
Firstly thanks for all the welcomes folks.

What is happening is that the basic state pension is being increased by £2.85 per week. The issue is that those receiving Pension Credit will only receive an increase of 87p per week. This is because the level at which Pension Credit is payable is not being increased. The effect of this is that those receiving Pension Credit will receive a £2.85 increase in their basic pension, but will lose £1.98 per week from their Pension Credit payment. Taking inflation into account this results in an effective decrease in income.

Whilst Council Tax Benefit and Housing Benefit are means tested overall, Pension Credit is the key to automatic full entitlement. It also provides free basic optical and dental care. Do away with Pension Credit, by the back door of course, and the government will save money.

djm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 07:46:07 PM »
Forgot to say I tried to raise this with our MP. No success though. Looks like you've got it right Pete.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »
Who did you try to contact djm ?
I have had success, albiet it limited with a few local MP's
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 08:13:57 PM »
So this is probably part of what we are promised is to come if the Tories get in!
They have promised to look after our elderly - but we know they lie, more so than any other before them.
All local MP's can do is bring it up in Parliament, look at the bedroom tax, people all around the UK contacted their MP's - it didn't make any difference!
They know just what they are doing that's for sure!  >:(

djm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 08:40:25 PM »
Don't think ant other party or coalition will be any different. What the politicians fail to realise is that they have destroyed the public's confidence in the whole political system. Cash for questions, expenses scandal, lack of attendance at the Commons, it just goes on. The really sad thing is that none of the parties see any need to regain the confidence of the people.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk