Author Topic: Watch Me Disappear  (Read 1945 times)

ironsky2

Watch Me Disappear
« on: November 17, 2014, 08:17:36 PM »
No I'm not planning to disappear from this forum - not just yet anyway. Been reading about the disappearance of the Manic Street Preacher guitarist Richie Edwards in February 1995 despite over the years people claiming to have seen him he seems to have disappeared into thin air no body has ever been found. Edwards however suffered from metal problems its widely believed he jumped from the Severn Bridge in Wales but again no one is sure on that. Every week in this country someone will be reported missing some are found others leave unsolved mystery in there wake. There are many reasons why people vanish it could be family problems, debts, desire to start a new life or for reasons unknown but each unsolved case leaves you wanting to know more what made them go and where are they now?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:21:43 PM by ironsky2 »

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Watch Me Disappear
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »
My cousin took his own life 2 years ago. It left a gaping hole in our family's life. Why did he do it ?
Yes it might sound bad, but at least we knew he was dead. Not just missing presumed  :'(
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:11:31 PM »
Two of my male friends took their own lives in their 20's, I always wondered what drove one to do that but the other one did this because his wife had left him  :(

Some just need to cop out of the life they have, others maybe are just fed up and want a clean sweep - a new start.

Sometimes I wish I could just friggin vanish.  ::) - and the first one to say 'so do I' just be warned - I will set my cat onto you  >:
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:15:58 PM »
Saying it and doing it are a world apart.
Said it before, and here it is again. I'm glad I have a good circle of friends  :-*

Yes I also have the wife to die for  MD
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

ironsky2

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »
As you know from my Employment and Support Allowance thread I had a friend who hung himself he was only 30 years old at the time of his death. The whole assessment processes was too much for him as he suffered from various mental health issues I wished he had picked up the phone and rung me but I think in his case he was in meltdown by then . Its bad enough when that happens but in the Richie Edwards case its a total mystery his parents have no closure he was legally declared dead in 2008 so his parents could sort out his estate. When someone goes missing and it drags on for years, the family are in limbo they cant deal with the persons estate because its feared that the person may turn up . Sorry to hear about your cousin Fly.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 06:35:57 AM »
Doesn't seem 20 years. Strange case, bodies usually get found eventually. Another of many celebrities with depression.

ironsky2

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
In case of Richie Edwards I really do think he committed suicide if you read about his last 12 months of life its clear he was suffering from some form of mental illness. During his disappearance he was spotted at Newport passport office then later at the bus station in the same town which flued the idea he had simply wanted to fall off the radar later a taxi driver was called to Kings Hotel at Newport a man of similar appearance to Edwards was driven around Blackwood were Richie came from . Richie's car was later found parked at Aust service station near to the Severn Bridge a noted suicide spot. The car battery was low and had photos of his family in it plus food wrappers and evidence of been slept in. The waters under Severn Bridge are quite strong, if he jumped from bridge  his body would soon be swept away. A skeleton was found a few years later and a pair of trainers with bones of feet in them have turned up over the years but DNA testing reviled how they weren't the remains of Richie Edwards.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »
Im sure i read somewhere that 4 people go missing in the UK every day.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »
As you know from my Employment and Support Allowance thread I had a friend who hung himself he was only 30 years old at the time of his death. The whole assessment processes was too much for him as he suffered from various mental health issues I wished he had picked up the phone and rung me but I think in his case he was in meltdown by then . Its bad enough when that happens but in the Richie Edwards case its a total mystery his parents have no closure he was legally declared dead in 2008 so his parents could sort out his estate. When someone goes missing and it drags on for years, the family are in limbo they cant deal with the persons estate because its feared that the person may turn up . Sorry to hear about your cousin Fly.

Not sure if you have picked up on this from another thread but I have been supporting someone with M/H problems for over 12 months now. Last year was really bleak and very concerning as it was looking likely an attempt to end their life would be achieved sooner or later. 15 months later and lots of support and hard work by the person concerned and things are so much better.  (y)
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 09:36:55 AM »
I have been in that position once or twice myself, i really did want to disappear.
It saddens me when you read of anyone that has taken their own life, and often wonder what does happen to those that seem to just disappear, where ever they are now hoping that they have found some peace living or dead.
It is a hard situation to get out of, and i think that those who have either been through it or have been close to someone who has gone through it can understand, I have been on both sides of that coin with myself and my mum.

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 04:55:30 PM »
Like you Emmz, I've been through it too, both with my mum who thankfully survived her suicide attempt but I'm afraid my Uncle didn't.  I was only 13 when my mums episode happened and at that age I never got to understand her state of mind.  She never spoke of it again, but the impact on me has carried through to today, and will probably never leave me.  Its the feelings of abandonment you see.  As a teenager I was very needy, and more than likely a bit of an attention seeker.  As an adult its been better especially since I had my own children, but to cut a long story short one of the effects is that I get really anxious and twitchy if anyone is late coming home, or lets me down.  I've learned to be more resolute about these things and have diversionary tactics to take my mind away from the issue but the underlying anxiety will never QUITE go away.

Hard to talk about the impact of losing my uncle.  It took me years to accept that his choice was nothing directly to do with me and was completely out of my control. Some years later,  as a result of both mum and uncle I became a Samaritan volunteer (for 14 years).  In my mind I figured that if I could help just two people then it was a sort of recompense.   As a volunteer with that wonderful organisation, you never really know who you've actually helped.  All I know is by just being there for people to talk to when they are low is as good as anything. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk