Author Topic: Are people who use bus passes merely benefit scroungers?  (Read 4939 times)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Are people who use bus passes merely benefit scroungers?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 07:21:40 PM »
Can help the elderly to come to terms with giving up their car
Or their motorcyle :P
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

ironsky2

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 08:00:58 PM »
A colleague Bus driver tells me of a couple of senior citizens boarding the bus from chesterfield to sheffield (after 9.30am). On arrival in sheffield - they walk up to the driver & re-scan their cards & sit back down again, & travel all the way back to chesterfield!
I doubt they were bus spotters (it wan't the x17).
Maybe it passes on a couple of hours for them in the warm & dry. a bit sad if that's the case.
Does this only happen in the winter months if so its probably warmer on the bus than at home. Another favourite bus for this carry on is the Bakewell bus.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 08:04:22 PM »
A colleague Bus driver tells me of a couple of senior citizens boarding the bus from chesterfield to sheffield (after 9.30am). On arrival in sheffield - they walk up to the driver & re-scan their cards & sit back down again, & travel all the way back to chesterfield!
Maybe it passes on a couple of hours for them in the warm & dry. a bit sad if that's the case.

I couldn't th.ink of anything more boring than to do that. As you say there may be a sad tale for the reason why
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 08:21:29 PM »
I  have  every  sympathy  for  taxi  drivers  etc,  sorry  but  I  really  can,t  see  everyone  rushing  to  book  a  cab  if  the  scheme  were  abolished
I don't expect people to pastitman. I've done the taxi job long enough to know they won't.
The trade gets a knock back now and again, but never get's a push forward from Chesterfield Council.
I'm not trying to make a political thing out of this either. It's just how it is.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 08:29:42 PM »
There are just too many taxi's. I thought they would have stopped signing up by now.
Is it ever cheaper - if 4 people were to pay full fare on a bus, for the four to share a taxi and get it cheaper?

I struggle with riding on buses the smell of diesel makes me feel sick ( always has ) and if the bus is hot and a bit like the wild mouse into town - blurrrgh.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 08:52:17 PM »
I thought they would have stopped signing up by now.
The council have capped and stopped new taxi rank vehicles now. A year or 2 ago.
There was 180, now there's 152. 110 is the ideal number  :-X
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Pastitman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 09:26:17 PM »

Very  sad,  can,t  ever  imagine  wanting  to  do  that,  they  should  be  charged  full  price  for  doing  it,  even  more  if  they  don,t  get  off  the  bus,  although  I  thought  they  would  have  to,  what  if  there  was  a  big  queue  waiting.  If  we  all  did  that  ?????
Do  what  you  can,  while  you  can!

ironsky2

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »
Very  sad,  can,t  ever  imagine  wanting  to  do  that,  they  should  be  charged  full  price  for  doing  it,  even  more  if  they  don,t  get  off  the  bus,  although  I  thought  they  would  have  to,  what  if  there  was  a  big  queue  waiting.  If  we  all  did  that  ?????
I think there's a reason for this behaviour otherwise it seems strange to go all the way to Sheffield then straight back to Chesterfield. Probably the bus driver is unsure what to do in this situation I myself would find it uncomfortable . If they simply get up and scan there card and sit down again theres not much the driver could do about it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk