Author Topic: Wheres The Best And Worst Place You Lived In?  (Read 5236 times)

ironsky2

Re: Wheres The Best And Worst Place You Lived In?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 09:25:04 PM »
Grassmoor at one time 'enjoyed' a bit of a reputation but there were some really community minded people about. A guy on my street used to do trips out to the coast at very low cost but at Christmas he would organizes a party for the whole street at the Parish hall every child got a presents for some of the children that was the only Xmas box they got. You just paid a bit to go and paided for your drinks the food and disco was free. He also did the village fate with help from locals and local businesses. Perhaps the most biggest challenge for him was getting funding for a new church hall when it was built he helped out in the kitchen. Sadly he's now passed on now and missed by people who knew him. During the bitter miners strike of 1984/85 the local pubs had events for the miners childern like a Christmas disco all for free. I grew up there it was safe and friendly village I left in 2010 I suspect its changed again but still bump into my old neighbors finding out the least.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 09:45:06 PM »
If you grew up there ironsky you would probably know my ex hubbies family.
Not sure if you know of this but Grassmoor also had a cinema, my grandfather used to 'tip up' his wages ans grandma gave him his spending money for enough fags for the week and a trip to the cinema.  I think it may have been called the Palais ( Palay was how my mum pronounced it it think? )
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

ironsky2

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 10:13:18 PM »
The cinema was where the car garage is now next door to the Boot & Shoe pub was before my time but heard many stories about it I think it was called ' Roxy' only seen one photo of it. I know most of the 'old ' Grassmoor families I'm not going to post there names on here been its a public forum  could possibly known your exs family. The landlord of the Miners was the late Ronnie Nelson a former boxer he had the pub for many years. The butchers on the corner was once run by Trevor and his dad , Trevor didn't live at Grassmoor. Another well known guy was Ernest he was the local barder his shop was on the main road , the hairdresser's was run by Sue and next to her shop was the 'Top Shop' used to get my sweets from there. Grassmoor WMC used to go in still open but like most WMC's struggling to keep afloat most of the villagers were ex miners or had worked at the Avenue plant. Happy memories.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:16:35 PM by ironsky2 »

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »
No I wouldn't post any names on an open forum either ironsky, but my ex FIL had his own business there

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 10:38:29 PM »
OC .yes it was along with places like Postmans Lane Temple Normanton,Unthank  in Cordwell Valley and Newbold Back Lane to name just a few.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 10:44:08 PM »
OC .yes it was along with places like Postmans Lane Temple Normanton,Unthank  in Cordwell Valley and Newbold Back Lane to name just a few.

Corrr you knew more than we did then  :))

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 09:01:45 PM »
I think most places i have lived have had their ups and downs, Lived in bolsover (oxcroft lane)
Lived on the model village Carr vale, and Bentinck twice
Must admit though where i am now is great, it's quiet and just a nice area on the whole (brampton)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk