Author Topic: whats The Worst Pub You Been In?  (Read 2236 times)

ironsky2

whats The Worst Pub You Been In?
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:32:56 PM »
For me it would be Parkway Tavern at Park Hill Flats, Sheffield.  :-? If a regular did Karaoke even if it was really bad you didn't laugh. Conversation would be who went to jail that week and the barmaid would get her jugs out for a regulars birthday. Once a guy left his hat in the pub went home he came back complete with a long knife the pub soon emptied.

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
Re: whats The Worst Pub You Been In?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »
For me it would have to be in a pub (remaining nameless) in the centre of Bolsover.  My friend and I went in for a 'swift half' on the way home one night and were hugely embarrassed when all conversation stopped and people turned round as we walked in.  It was one of those moments where a quick decision had to be made - should we stay or should we leg it!!  We brazened it out and sat quietly in a corner until the various conversations resumed round us.  One bloke came up to us and gave us the 'Orate ladies?' greeting.  We gave him stock response of 'Yeah ta'.  THEN we drank up and legged it! 

We cried with laughing all the way home, vowing never to that again.  We now stick with pubs we know well  :))

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:20:24 AM »
I lived on the Main Street at Heath and we used the Elm Tree, apart from one evening when we took a walk into Holmewood and called in at the Pig ( I think it was called that ).
We supped up sharpish and left
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

ironsky2

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »
The pub which had the nickname of 'Pig' was called Holmewood Hotel on Devonshire Terrace got closed down due to fighting and glassing in there. Always made an interesting night out  >;

ironsky2

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
The pub which had the nickname of 'Pig' was called Holmewood Hotel on Devonshire Terrace got closed down due to fighting and glassings in there. Always made an interesting night out  >;

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 12:42:12 PM »
Wow, that sounds a classy establishment  >;

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »
Years ago we used to rehearse our band there, about the mid seventies. The only trouble we had was when our manager ran over a Fender Telecaster guitar with the band's van...

::)
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

therealjr

• View Profile
whats The Worst Pub You Been In?
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 02:35:41 PM »
You know those pubs you go in and have to be careful not to sit in the wrong seat? I know I shouldn't have done this but at the time it was funny. 
Walked into a pub and ordered a pint from the new barmaid they had. Proceeded to position myself on a stool in the corner of the bar.
When she brought the pint I could tell she was a bit agitated. When she returned with my change even more agitated. I gave her a couple of minutes to stew then asked her what was wrong. She apologised profusely but pointed out I was in a regulars seat and would I mind moving as he would be arriving in the next few minutes. I launched into a bit of a rant about how ridiculous that was, how my money was as good as anyone else's and why shouldnt I sit where I liked. Still agitated she felt the need to fetch the landlord. He came out of the back took one look burst out laughing and said to the barmaid 'don't worry love I'm sure Jon will move off his dad's stool when he gets here'. I don't think she ever forgave me!!
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 02:57:43 PM »
For me it would have to be in a pub (remaining nameless) in the centre of Bolsover.  My friend and I went in for a 'swift half' on the way home one night and were hugely embarrassed when all conversation stopped and people turned round as we walked in.  It was one of those moments where a quick decision had to be made - should we stay or should we leg it!!  We brazened it out and sat quietly in a corner until the various conversations resumed round us.  One bloke came up to us and gave us the 'Orate ladies?' greeting.  We gave him stock response of 'Yeah ta'.  THEN we drank up and legged it! 

We cried with laughing all the way home, vowing never to that again.  We now stick with pubs we know well  :))

Is it the one thats now an Antiques shop.  I had a similar experience in there.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 07:42:08 PM »
Yes I think maybe the Holmewood Hotel. It couldn't have been any more far roved from a hotel  :))
As we walked in the 3 or for customers already in stopped drinking/talking and we were watched - very carefully. Hence the supping up and going.

As for regulars having their own seats it happened a lot in our village Miners Welfare.
I found it really funny as if strangers were in and sat in a regulars seat, as the regulars drifted in they would all pause and look at the newbies.
Nothing was said but generally regulars would end up sitting in another regulars seat.
When the strangers left everyone would get up and move around to their normal seats  :))
When didn't go in every weekend but always sat with my parents when we did.
On one occasion as the shuffle began, I moaned to my parents saying' why can't we just say here, why does it matter where we sit!
I then got a lecture about who sat where and told who's seat we were sat in - so we had to move 

:)) :)) eeee by gum I had tears running down my legs  :)) :))
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 06:54:14 AM »
Also in Holmewood, years before the smoking ban, I remember going to the Williamthorpe.

Ok, you expected people to smoke in pubs but here the air was absolutely thick with it, ended up with quite sore eyes and clothes reeking of it. On the plus side we were with locals so got out in one piece!

ironsky2

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 09:03:58 AM »
Another rough pub I went in was the Cannon on Castle Street, Sheffield when the pub closed down it made the front page of the 'Star'. The pub had a 15 year old barmaid who got pagie by one of the customers. Anything could be brought in there and I mean anything from a gun ( got offered one by one of the 'traders' for a bargain £120)  to a tin of vaule range bake beans. The pub had its moments one day a group of ten blokes carrying golfing irons entered it to sort someone out in there. The local pod got fed up with spending more time at the Cannon than the Police station the pubs license got revoked for good I miss that pub........ :'(

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
Is it the one thats now an Antiques shop.  I had a similar experience in there.

No Simon, it was one on the main road near the entrance to the big car park (opposite the bus stops).  I know there are two, one either side of the entrance but I can't remember which one.

I'm still traumatised!  :))

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 07:12:43 PM »
Cavendish or Cross Keys then. Keys is now Fulton's Foods. The one opposite the car park entrance.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 09:47:34 PM »
Cavendish or Cross Keys then. Keys is now Fulton's Foods. The one opposite the car park entrance.

Cavendish!  That's the one,  Thanks Fly  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk