Author Topic: Halloween  (Read 4808 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Halloween
« on: October 22, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »
Thoughts on this night folks?
Some are dead  >; against it and some enjoy it.

As for us we will buy a Pumpkin and hubby scrapes out the middle, lighting the candle inside the Pumpkin on the night of Halloween he stands it outside so it is visible.
Those walking round dressed in their scary clothes know we will answer the door to give them their treat.
We always buy a tub of sweets for the children to dip into.
However I have a laminated poster which I put on my daughters door saying No Trick or Treats. I don't think they should be knocking on the doors of bunalows - unless it's granny/grandpa who are expecting them
 >:  >:
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
Re: Halloween
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:08:39 PM »
I think if I had grandchildren I might enter into the spirit of things a lot more.  As it is I'm a bit bah humbug about it only seeing the silly expense of celebrating what is essentially a pagan festival.  The kids don't really know what the All Hallows Eve thing is all about and obviously just see the fun they get out of it.  I don't blame them, as my own kids enjoyed Trick or Treating. 

I live on a road where there are only two sets of young parents with toddler age children, the rest of us are all in our 50's and 60's, so we tend to get bypassed by trick or treaters.  I am actually rather grateful for that as in the past I've had my bins tipped up without anyone coming to the door.

What's hacking me off more than anything at the minute is as soon as October arrived the media were filling the papers with ghost stories, and as for those black eyed child ghosts, well what a load of old cobblers!   >;

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:36:50 PM »
Im against it.  Seems to be another inherited thing from the Yanks and gives kids the excuse to go begging.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:55:59 PM »
It's not that much different to what we did as children with our home made Guy Fawkes.
Although it's Pagan, the children see it as a bit of fun, I don't have a problem with that.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 08:24:48 PM »
>> Im against it.  Seems to be another inherited thing from the Yanks and gives kids the excuse to go begging.

Agree.

>> It's not that much different to what we did as children with our home made Guy Fawkes.

I'm afraid I disagree - Guy Fawkes is a celebration of the failure of someone to blow up the Houses of Parliament. Whereas Halloween is a HooDoo Voodoo, superstitious load of tripe left over from days when we thought the world was flat. I don't believe in putting that idea in young kids' heads.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 09:15:35 PM »
I doubt many of the children link any of their dressing up with things like voodoo etc Pete. It's too deep for them to think about. Kids just like dressing up.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »
Have you seen the Ebola Nurse costume?

I can appreciate kids want to dress up as witches etc, but an Ebola Nurse. Who the f**k thinks these things up?

https://metro.co.uk/2014/10/26/never-fear-there-is-a-sexy-ebola-nurse-costume-for-you-to-wear-this-halloween-4922006/

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »
Don't agree with that.
Too many people have dies from this terrible virus to be making dressing up costumes about it.

Engine Driver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 12:36:08 AM »
Ok, so according to Pete, it's not right for the kids to have a bit of fun dressing up as ghosts and witches and the like, but it is ok to celebrate a failed terrorist who tried blow up the government :o
What a strange world we live in :))
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak!

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 07:50:02 AM »
You've pretty much got that the wrong way round.

Bonfire night celebrates Guy Fawkes being caught before he could blow up Parliament. Nice how you slipped the word terrorist in though...

To bring a child up believing in ghosts and ghouls, which do not exist, is a bit like folks passing on their religion - the single biggest cause of war, misery and death on the planet. IMHO
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 07:52:55 PM »
You've pretty much got that the wrong way round.

Bonfire night celebrates Guy Fawkes being caught before he could blow up Parliament. Nice how you slipped the word terrorist in though...

To bring a child up believing in ghosts and ghouls, which do not exist, is a bit like folks passing on their religion - the single biggest cause of war, misery and death on the planet. IMHO

Neither does the Tooth Fairy or Father Christmas   ;)  :'(

Engine Driver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »
WHAT :o No Santa OR Tooth Fairy :o OMG! :)) :))
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak!

ironsky2

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 06:41:19 PM »
Not against Halloween as such but don't think its wise for kids to be bagging on strangers doors.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »
WHAT :o No Santa OR Tooth Fairy :o OMG! :)) :))

Oh dear so sorry engine driver please don't  :'(.
I was only kidding there is a Santa, Tooth Fairy - and Witches and Goulies  ================= runs off before Pete realises all this ====================  :-*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk