Author Topic: Has Tesco Overeached Itself In Chesterfield?  (Read 6759 times)

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Has Tesco Overeached Itself In Chesterfield?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
I was under the impression that retailers had to apply to the council to turn a building such as a pub into a shop is this not the case then.
Are you saying that CBC or North East Derbyshire don't have a say in this?

Minor things like signage and access design  need need planning but even if they are turned down they can appeal to higher bodies. Shops and pubs are licensed retail premises so they don't need to go through the hassle of change of use.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 07:45:24 PM »
Minor things like signage and access design  need need planning but even if they are turned down they can appeal to higher bodies. Shops and pubs are licensed retail premises so they don't need to go through the hassle of change of use.

So we may well have a change of name for our town then

Tescofield - market town of the Crooked Spire and Tesco's!!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 09:50:53 PM »
Which is what happened with the Somerset House in Calow. It was turned down by the local authority on certain planning issues & comments about access to Hospital re parking on Chesterfield Rd, etc,etc, but tesco took the appeal to the Secretary of State, who Rubber Stamped the approval, despite a 2500 petition from locals & the local authority concerns.
Its the change of retail use of the building which the planning dept can't object to.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Spire

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »
A problem for councils trying to resist Tesco planning applications is that Tesco has very deep pockets and can keep re applying and appealing, so do you want our council tax spent on fighting of endless Tesco planning applications.

The easiest way to stop Tesco is don't shop there, which is a little of what is happening these days with the help of the internet and savvy shoppers, the power has shifted a little way towards the consumer.   ;D

I think Tesco is suffering from shoppers like me, I use mysupermarket.co.uk and put together my shopping list, and then I do one of 2 things depending where I might be during the week, I
1 Buy all my shopping from the cheapest store
2 Pick and chose the cheapest products from the various stores.

Option 2 I take fuel into consideration that's why I try and work out where I might be in the week as it's not worth a trip to Morrison up Brampton to save  50p on the other hand Aldi Tesco ASDA and Sainsbury are all close together.

I also only buy stuff on offer where I can, I stock up on the on offer stuff, then stop buying until its on offer again if I can last long enough on my stock pile.

According to a TV program I am a little behind the curve as some people have mysupermarket.co.uk App on their phone and check the prices.

I also heard that it costs the super markets about £15.00 to prepare and delivery a online shopping basket order which has to be eating into profits.

I suppose when u are the biggest the little guys will always be nimble enough to take bites out of you.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »
I always buy extra of items when they are on offer.
The other week in Lidl, I worked out the although Andrex toliet rolls were more expensive than Cushelle sheet for sheet,
 I could get more for my money if I bought the Andrex - which I did  ;)

Made hubby chuckle  ;)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 09:29:17 PM »
Made hubby chuckle
What did, soft toilet roll. Or the cheaper price  ::)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 09:33:29 PM »
What did, soft toilet roll. Or the cheaper price  ::)

The Dragon stood working it all out in the middle of Lidl with shoppers walking round me  ;)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 04:05:22 PM »
Tesco's have really taken a tumble this week haven't they.
With over stated profits of  £263m and shares slumping by 6.5% down yesterday what will their next move be?
From what I have read they are going to reduce their range of goods.
Has it taken Lidl and Aldi to show them how it's done?

therealjr

• View Profile
Has Tesco Overeached Itself In Chesterfield?
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »
Supermarkets stopped being solely food providers a long time ago and expanded into other markets. Sainsbury's for example is now the 6th biggest clothes retailer by volume in the UK and have only been in the market 10 years. The problem with T**** is they expanded into too many different markets too quickly. They also had unsuccessful launches abroad. Finally their out of town centre superstore policy of recent years has left them in a poor position to react to the new shopper trends of little and often. The biggest complaint we hear about the lockoford lane store is 'you cant just pop in and out for a few bits.
Sainsbury's has (obviously in my humble but biased opinion) the better layout because if you don't want GM and clothing you can turn left at the doors and avoid them. T**** you have to fight through them to get to food and Morrisons they appear half way round your shop!!
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 10:28:52 PM »
Tesco has clearly overeached itself full stop to go back to the original thread. Shares plummeting, customers numbers falling, management in turmoil. I don't think the likes of the Pubs under threat of conversion should worry too much at the moment, because Tesco may not be able to afford it anymore.
They have some serious work to do to get back on track, moreover, to win back the fleeing shopper.
A lot of people have lost confidence in them, and it's going to be very difficult & hard to win them back.
Every Dog has it's day, Tesco is finding out the hard way. I just hope the shop floor staff don't suffer as a result - that may be a hope too far regrettably.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »
In general terms I don't think the shops will suffer. The company will still have an £x million budget to spend on advertising to convince you that they are cheaper and have great offers. The bigger issue is the longer they spend fire fighting these fraud allegations the longer it will take them to produce a strategy for the future to win back their market share
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 11:25:14 PM »
If you consider the budget for Pub conversions nationwide ( not just Chesterfield) it must have been a huge amount of money.
I simply know that Enterprise Inns who own the Somerset House in Calow firstly;
a) gave them a date to quit the Pub,
b)extended that date slightly (already laid off the "chef's"),
c)the day after the Derbyshire Times went to visit(about the closure) a representative from Enterprise Inns turned up and told the occupiers to carry on indefinitely & start doing Meals again until further notice.
Now the Blacksmith Arms Pub has been closed in Calow (another story).
So the Somerset & White Hart are left. The White Hart is an eatery (Marston's) foremost, whereas the Somerset is more of a traditonal style pub, but still does great food so I'm told.
I know Tesco has many millions still left in the pot for this kind of thing, but I guess the new team in charge are putting things on hold for now until they can stabilise & repair the damage to its reputation.
They have a very long way to go in my opinion, & it will be interesting to watch what they come up with in terms of re-branding and winning back customers.

ironsky2

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »
And now watch them fall from grace.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »
And now watch them fall from grace.
That's already happening as we speak.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk