Author Topic: Has Tesco Overeached Itself In Chesterfield?  (Read 6767 times)

ironsky2

Has Tesco Overeached Itself In Chesterfield?
« on: October 12, 2014, 09:55:36 AM »
For a town of Chesterfields size it would seem we are well served by Tesco shops. My parents shop at Tesco Extra at Clay Cross on a Saturday the last few times they have been they have commented on how dead it was. When taking to the people who are running the Crispin or Somerset House pubs Tesco plans for each pub seem all up in the air. While I don't regularly vistit the large Tesco on Whittington Moor it was quite when I was there perhaps due to Aldi opening near by and impacting on its trade. I do think Aldi might have slowed or caused a rethink on Tesco's plans for the town or have they overreached themselfs by having too many stores in the Chesterfield area?

therealjr

• View Profile
Re: Has Tesco Overeached Itself In Chesterfield?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »
They are reacting to the current customer trend which is towards little and often. It's almost a return to the corner shop mentality but it's the big 4 providing the shop.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 05:53:43 PM »
For a town of Chesterfields size it would seem we are well served by Tesco shops. My parents shop at Tesco Extra at Clay Cross on a Saturday the last few times they have been they have commented on how dead it was. When taking to the people who are running the Crispin or Somerset House pubs Tesco plans for each pub seem all up in the air. While I don't regularly vistit the large Tesco on Whittington Moor it was quite when I was there perhaps due to Aldi opening near by and impacting on its trade. I do think Aldi might have slowed or caused a rethink on Tesco's plans for the town or have they overreached themselfs by having too many stores in the Chesterfield area?
I understand Enterprise Inns went to the Somerset House the day after Derbyshire Times went, & told them to start serving food again! Until further notice!
Yet Tesco won the appeal & could have had the builders in by now ripping it apart.
Is Tesco that skint that they have had to put these Pub conversions on hold? We all know about the negative publicity regarding their profit forecasts....but surely if they think the likes of Tesco Express is the way forward in terms of their profit margins, they would be steaming in and converting the Pub to be open for Christmas?!
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

ironsky2

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 07:07:10 PM »
I agree Scimitar the impression I got was Somerset House was closing soon. It seems strange for Tesco to fight tooth and nail for both pubs all this time then stall on them given the time of year we are now in. The only thing I can think of is Aldi has had a greater impact on the Chesterfield area trade wise and the stores they have are not turning over as much profit in the pre Aldi days. When I was talking to the landlady at Somerset House the impression I got was no one knew what was happening that included Tesco.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 11:37:25 PM »
Chesterfield is a small town - so to have two pubs (Crispin & Somerset House) that Tesco want to convert - minimal cost I suppose to Tesco. But think countrywide, and I bet they have their eyes on thousands of pubs!!
Now that Tesco's new Boss has called the Fraud Squad in over their £250Million shortfall in profit projection, and suspended 8 top management, I guess they have some major problems to deal with internally, and in the meantime stop spending funds which they apparently no longer have. Makes you wonder where the missing money has gone - if indeed it is missing, or been misappropriated in any.
Make your own mind up on that one.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 06:47:30 AM »
Though Calow and Clay Cross are not in Chesterfield

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »
Though Calow and Clay Cross are not in Chesterfield
Pedantic comment - geographically they are!

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 08:19:31 PM »
But not in administrative / planning terms as people suggest when they claim Chesterfield is overrun by them

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »
But not in administrative / planning terms as people suggest when they claim Chesterfield is overrun by them
So the greater Derbyshire, DCC, CBC, NEDDC, Amber Valley, isn't properly represented.
I guess we have room for one in every village then. Can anyone honestly say that Chesterfield was overrun by them - until Aldi & Lidl showed up?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:33:28 PM by Scimitar »

ironsky2

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 09:53:08 PM »
To me Tesco have had the freedom to do what they like in Chesterfield the council simply rubber stamp there plans. But yet when other supermarkets want to open a store in town its refused a good example of that was when ASDA wanted to build a large store on Derby Road it would have creted jobs more choice for the people. But it got refused instead we have a derelict land to admire but yet Tesco could have a gaint of a store on Whittington Moor.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 10:31:26 PM »
Sorry we've had this discussion times many before but for the benefit of newer members: if you want to build a new supermarket regardless of size you need planning permission. If you want to convert an existing retail outlet like a pub into a local supermarket then you don't. You do need permission for any alterations for loading bays etc but permission to make the initial change no. So the council (CBC NEDDC or whoever) have no choice but to 'rubber stamp'
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 10:39:04 PM »
So are you saying Tesco can take over ( to be over the top) ALL the pubs within Chesterfield town centre ) and turn them into mini Tesco's and the CBC couldn't stop them?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 06:31:09 AM »
So are you saying Tesco can take over ( to be over the top) ALL the pubs within Chesterfield town centre ) and turn them into mini Tesco's and the CBC couldn't stop them?

If the public want to blame someone it should be the property owners that sell to tesco. they don't have compulsory purchase powers

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 09:09:44 AM »
If the public want to blame someone it should be the property owners that sell to tesco. they don't have compulsory purchase powers

I was under the impression that retailers had to apply to the council to turn a building such as a pub into a shop is this not the case then.
Are you saying that CBC or North East Derbyshire don't have a say in this?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

ironsky2

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »
Not all together ture the government brought out Community Assets which by rights gives the community a say when a pub is under threat of been turned into something else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk