Author Topic: Urban Exploring Anyone Else Into It?  (Read 8136 times)

ironsky2

Urban Exploring Anyone Else Into It?
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
One of pastimes ( I have quite a few) is Urban Exploring you may be woundering what is Urban Exploring? Basically it is to document and photograph derelict buildings or abandoned places there are websites like 'Derelict Places' and '28 Days Later' where explorers can upload there photos together with the history of the site. I would like to point out that Urban Explorers don't break an enter or cause damage or take items out of the sites they are visiting they only take photos and leave only footprints. I got into this hobby after reading John Harris's ' No Voice From The Hall'the book is about country
houses that were demolished in the years after the Second World War . Harris travled across the country to find house and photo them before the wrecking ball came along. I have done two country houses who's future is in doubt plus many varied sites too.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Exploring Anyone Else Into It?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 06:55:29 PM »
That sounds a very interesting hobby to have ironsky2
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 07:08:59 PM »
Me and Pete had a treck out a couple of months ago. Looking for remains of an old turntable behind the Ibis Hotel.
We didn't find much sadly  :-X
I'll have a look for the photo's I took. Can't remember what I did with them at this minute.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »
I wouldnt say im into it as such but I do love looking at photos other people have taken, especially of places you wouldnt normally get to see.

Id be up for some exploration if others are
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 07:49:04 PM »
Id be up for some exploration if others are

Really  8) C:-) :))
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

ironsky2

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »
Well if anyone wants to come along on one of my urban explorations sometime drop me a PM. Iv recently done Heckington Manor, Lincolnshire but most of my explorers are at Sheffield theres not much locally though Oakhurst House is worth a trip but be careful its in a bad way now.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:28:02 PM »
I am a member of a small group of railway enthusiasts and we go walking every friday tracing the routes of old railway lines and exploring places where there was a heavy railway presence.

http://on.fb.me/1t5pHAs
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 09:27:20 PM »
Have you done the Ashover Light Railway Pete, I believe their are still traces of it

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »
Yes, did that a few months ago.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »
Find any of it Pete?

I do know there is a group of people who would like to get it re-opened, lots of things in the way of course so not sure if it will ever happen

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 05:47:58 PM »
A few photos of our explorations (we have 100s!)

http://www.ichesterfield.co.uk/ashover-light-railway/

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »
Brilliant photo's and well worth the find

ironsky2

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 09:14:01 PM »
Been urban exploring today at Sheffield doing an industrial site while photoing away came across an homeless guy. He was about 25 years old his clothing was ragged he lived in a tent in the derelict building the tent top was covered in pigion poo so was the floor of the building. I spoke to him to warn him that the building is soon will be cleared away as often the case he didn't speak back. I often come across such people or evidence of drug abuse with needles lieing around I often see the unseen side of our society.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 10:11:48 PM »
That's very sad ironsky, we can moan about our lot at times but there are others worse off than us, I suppose some choose this whilst others find themselves in this situation purely because of circumstances.

ironsky2

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 06:45:47 PM »
Iv scanned some photos of a couple of explorers and place them in Chesterfield Online Photo bucket. I'm not sure on how you get photos from the Photo bucket to on here perhaps some one can kindly tell me how to do it at present I have to ask Fly to do it. The photos are of Niche nightclub on Sidney Street, Sheffield which opened in 1992 by Steve Baxendale along with his brother Mick. Niche was the home to Bassline music the club was quite popular in its day. But it had its dark side Mick Baxendale was stabbed to death outside his club in 1998 after some lads caused trouble in the club. The problems came to a head in the early 2000s when the club found itself involved in the bouncer's war with drug dealers which soon caught the attention of the Police who raided the club in November 2005 in a raid that cost the council tax payer £600.000 but nothing was found but the Police put a 'Crack House Order' on Niche which forced its closer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk