Author Topic: Smokers in Derbyshire challenged to quit  (Read 2479 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Smokers in Derbyshire challenged to quit
« on: September 30, 2014, 03:50:51 PM »
Will anyone take up this challenge?

Smokers in Derbyshire are being challenged to take part in national 'Stoptober' month, which begins on 1 October, is being backed by Derbyshire County Council's public health team.

There are almost 114,000 smokers who live in Derbyshire. Smoking is the nation's biggest killer with half of long-term smokers dying prematurely from a smoking-related illness.

Evidence shows that if a smoker can go 28 days without a cigarette they are five times more likely to give up permanently. And research suggests that smokers can gain up to seven days of life for every 28 they remain smokefree. Last year 3,504 people had given up smoking quit after the month-long campaign.

While smoking across the country is falling steadily, it is still the biggest cause of premature death causing more than 80,000 deaths in England every year.

Derbyshire County Stop Smoking Service can help and support any anyone wanting to stop smoking. There is a telephone support service where smokers will get a call from an advisor once a week − ideal for people who are unable to attend a clinic regularly. There are also drop-in sessions and one-to-one support available from local pharmacies and GP practices.

Derbyshire County Council Cabinet Member for Health and Communities Councillor Dave Allen said:

"It's vital that when someone has made the decision to give up smoking that they have all the support they need. "
It's not an easy thing to do so the help, support and advice that Derbyshire County Stop Smoking Service can give is all the more important in giving people everything they need to break the habit for good".

Be part of the challenge. For help and support call Derbyshire County Stop Smoking Service on 0800 085 22 99 or 01246 515153, text 'Easy' to 80800 or visit
www.derbyshirecountystopsmokingservice.nhs.uk

How useful did you find this page?

The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Smokers in Derbyshire challenged to quit
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:00:45 PM »
Filthy habit . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   :-X
Just over 2 years now. Fag free, both of us  :)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 07:34:52 PM »
I will have packed it in 6 years ago in December.

So glad I did too.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »
So what instigates a smokers decision to quit smoking.

Is it the consistent warnings of what smoking can do to health or is it that damage has already been done to your health and it was a 'must quit'  or else face the consequences decision?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »
I stopped smoking because my wife's health was probably at risk. I did it for her  :-*
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »
For me it was feeling unhealthy.

I have a fairly physical job and doing that I realised I needed to pack them in.  So I did.

Plus I used to work with someone who smoked a lot, im talking 40-60 a day.  He was about 20 years older than me but looked about 40 years older.

I decided to give up, my last cigarette was just before midnight on 31st December 2007.  (Ive had the odd cigar admittedly)

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 09:52:47 PM »
Its about 13 years since I stopped.  I didn't smoke heavily but it seemed my lungs were sensitive and I used to wake myself up in the night with wheezing.  So glad I stopped.  Sadly husband hasn't managed to yet.  >:(

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 10:03:32 PM »
Baed on what I know about you Gerty. RESPECT !!

Spire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 08:54:10 AM »
Well the last time I had a fag was about 39 years ago, u could get 20 cigs for about 50p back then.

I gave up after being in hospital having major abdominal surgery, and there was a bloke in the ward with me who was suffering with hardening of the arteries in his legs caused by smoking, he could only walk 50 yards then he got severe pain in his legs, the surgeon told him that they could operate to help him but because of his smoking it was 50/50 whether or not the anaesthetic would kill him or not.

My surgeon was saying to me that there was a possibility that in 20 years time I could be back for additional surgery, and it scared me to think that my surgeon may be saying the same to me 20 years later so I stopped smoking from that day forward, as it turned out it was 30 years later I ended up having further surgery.     

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 01:08:23 PM »
My late grandfather had hardening of the Arteries, quite painful I believe. He used to stand on one leg like a stork to rest the painful one.

Do all smokers go through the same/similar withdrawal symptoms then, or can it vary.
As there are several of you on here who have gone through I wondered what the worst stage was in 'giving up'

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 08:51:15 PM »
I went 'cold turkey' and personally i didnt find it that difficult.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk