Author Topic: More Proposed Cuts  (Read 1874 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
More Proposed Cuts
« on: July 31, 2014, 09:57:48 AM »
This is going to have a really serious affect on families in our area if this goes ahead.
 May even be out of a job myself.

Review of disabled children's services launched
30 July 2014

Services for disabled children are under review as part of our plans to save £157m over the next four years.

Reductions in government grants, inflation and greater demands on areas of the budget for adult social services and vulnerable children mean we must rethink the way we deliver services.

We are launching a consultation on proposals which could see some services currently offered to families with disabled children without the need for an assessment being reduced or stopped altogether.

Derbyshire residents will be asked for their views on proposals to change our Aiming High Derbyshire Offer − a menu of short break provision based on families' level of need which we have no legal requirement to provide.

These proposals would not affect vital services we must provide to give essential support to families of disabled children and young people with the highest levels of need to enable them to care for their child at home.

Members of our Cabinet who meet on Tuesday 5 August will be asked to agree to consult on proposals to:

·         End one-off funding for summer play schemes for disabled children
·         Reduce funding to provide group activities for children or young people with a disability aged five to 17
·         End one-to-one flexible support and short-break grants to children and young people aged five to 17 but provide targeted funding to those children and young people who meet new eligibility criteria.
The proposed new criteria will be included in the consultation to give people the chance to have their say.

If all the changes went ahead it would save up to £485,000 a year.

Councillor Kevin Gillott, our Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Children and Young People, said he was having to think the 'unthinkable'.

He said:

The unrelenting budget cuts that are being forced on us by the Government mean we have to cut our spending on services by more than a third.

"I don't want to be in a position of having to consider making these cuts but we have been left with no choice.

"I realise the impact these proposals will have on Derbyshire families with disabled children − many of whom have been receiving this support for years. But we simply don't have the money to provide everything we'd like to and we're being forced in to a position where we have to put money where it is most needed.

"However, no decisions will be taken until we've had the chance to speak to families and we're keen to hear their views."

If agreed by Cabinet, the consultation would take place during autumn 2014.

The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: More Proposed Cuts
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:40:33 PM »
Nothing but mandatory services can be taken for granted in the current climate

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »
Nothing but mandatory services can be taken for granted in the current climate

well that and no cuts to things that wont make the headlines in the DT but are more pleasurable for those involved, like twinning or civic events or members allowances.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 06:40:56 AM »
Derbyshire Times puts a negative slant on anything CBC & DCC do

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 10:26:55 AM »
The information was from an up date by Derbyshire.
Nothing to do with the D T
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 11:33:09 AM »
The information was from an up date by Derbyshire.
Nothing to do with the D T

Quite so, I can't see anything negative in the quote nor in the DT report.

As for mandatory service provision v discretionary services, why should councils be expected to spend tax payers' money on things they don't have to provide?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk