Author Topic: Councils calling for Taxes on Tesco's  (Read 1275 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Councils calling for Taxes on Tesco's
« on: July 27, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »
Mods can you doctor the link for me please I don't understand why I am having probs posting links - never have before.

Anyway - Derby City is one of the councils wanting to tax Tesco's and large supermarkets.
Who will pick up the cost on this get rich idea?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fbusiness%2Fnews%2Fcouncils-want-tesco-tax-on-big-supermarkets-9630494.html&ei=3crUU_6aO6e50QWeooGIDQ&usg=AFQjCNE0uKBlX34pYN486EieAt5oKl7sZA&sig2=I_yfZ85ZlQzQTd4YbylfnA
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:54:00 AM by Old Cruser »
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: Councils calling for Taxes on Tesco's
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 11:51:52 AM »
Behind it 100% - predictable, I know.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:30:31 PM »
Will this work on the "Tesco Express"  stores they are planning to open too, e.g. the proposed takeover of the Somerset House pub by Tesco in Calow & the Crispin in Ashgate?
Tesco's profit margin already suffering as a group business I seem to remember reading somewhere.
Is it councils saying "Yes - have your Tesco - but we want our share too?"
Presumably, this is not just targeted at Tesco, but the rest of the supermarket chains too?
Pardon my ignorance - I have not read up on this.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »
So let's take Shirebrook for example. Tesco's wanted to build a new store there.
That new store might bring more people into the town that would other wise travel to Clowne or Mansfield. People from Warsop etc.
If it's going to cost Tesco more in 'tax/rates' to put a shop there, will they bother. They still have foot fall at the other shops.

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

therealjr

• View Profile
Councils calling for Taxes on Tesco's
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:53:29 PM »
It's referred to as a Tesco tax simply because the alliteration works best for them. It affects any retail business over £500k rateable value. Now in theory it's a good idea because chesterfield borough council don't benefit from having 4 large supermarkets DIY outlets and other big retail concerns within its boundaries. This is because business rates are collected by the borough but then handed straight over to the government. They then apply some clever formula and give cbc so much back in grants etc. so the economy of chesterfield doesn't benefit per se against say Bolsover who have fewer of these large outlets. Perhaps a better example is meadowhall. Sheffield CC doesn't benefit from the business rates but it does have to maintain the roads around the area that probably take a greater pounding than they would if it didn't exist. So like I say in theory a good idea. But there are two flaws. One there's no way the shareholders of these businesses are going to be happy with a £400m reduction on profits. So these taxes are going to be passed on either in higher prices or lower staff costs. So the local economies will suffer. Secondly there's no guarantees that monies raised will be spent on worthwhile projects. Or put another way how many of you would be happy to know that your weekly shop had gone up £5 and the money was going to be used to put another statue on Whittington moor island?
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:12:43 PM »
Or put another way how many of you would be happy to know that your weekly shop had gone up £5 and the money was going to be used to put another statue on Whittington moor island?

How are the two related. Thought one was a percent for art scheme.
This one would be a money for the council scheme  ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 10:37:32 PM »
They're not it was a for instance. The original article says community centres small businesses and parks. So how about if the money went on building the leisure centre that Henri claims no one wants? Or was given to a small business manufacturing legal highs? Or went towards putting much loved youff shelters in various parts of the town?
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk