Author Topic: New Boyes store in Chesterfield  (Read 9331 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
New Boyes store in Chesterfield
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »
As the title says, a New Boyes store opened in Chesterfield today.

Is it me, or are we starting to look cheap?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: New Boyes store in Chesterfield
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:09:29 PM »
We've heard various comments as taxi drivers, and people feedback about Boyes opening today.
Another Wilkos, another Pound Stretcher, just another pound shop. (Which it's not).

It's a shop in town, it employs people.
They have about 50+ shops nationwide now.
Does it make town look cheap, I don't think so.
I wish there was a Poundland in Boza though.
Competition as I was once told.

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:20:32 PM »
I watched an advert on TV last night from one of those places for school kids clothes. The prices were the lowest I've seen - and I wondered why we all ignore the child labour exploitation and the health and safety for the women who make these things.

Just so we can have cheap clothes.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:14:13 AM »
I watched an advert on TV last night from one of those places for school kids clothes. The prices were the lowest I've seen - and I wondered why we all ignore the child labour exploitation and the health and safety for the women who make these things.

Just so we can have cheap clothes.

Or maybe some people just can't afford to pay more?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:58:24 AM »
One of the major supermarkets sells gents' T shirts for a fiver each. I wonder how much they pay workers in factories in Bangladesh to make them.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 01:40:11 PM »
Not a lot. But if you think back we used to have the textile industries that made the same garments but people started demanding cheaper clothes. There's only one way to make anything cheaper and that's to cut costs. So if a Bangladeshi worker is getting paid the equivalent of 50p a week who's fault is it? By all means pay him  £500 a week but be prepared to pay £25 for your t shirt.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 03:20:32 PM »
@ Big Dave - the advert was for a pair of trousers and a pleated skirt, a shirt and a blouse - £4 the lot!

@ Jon - my last tee shirt cost £50...  :o

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
>> Or maybe some people just can't afford to pay more?

But how far do we support the b*st*rds who are responsible for this?

Makes you think, doesn't it.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 05:40:20 PM »
Problem is Pete, it's dog eat dog when times are hard isn't it. So a parent who needs to clothe her children won't be bothered about the working conditions or how much the people get paid for making the clothes.

Engine Driver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 09:57:34 PM »
If everyone stopped buying these cheap clothes then what would happen to all these people who make them?....... I'll tell you, they would be out of work , starving and drinking water from muddy puddles etc. Then we would be being pestered on TV and the like to send "Aid" £3 a month here £2 a week there, to save the starving and desperate in this country or that.
 As far as I can see it's not our problem, it is the problem of which ever country's government they are in.
 I can't remember any of these countrys offering to help last winter when most of Britain was under water and our people were in desperate state having lost everything.
As to making 8 and 9yr old kids work in these factories then again who's fault is that? Ours,..... I don't think so! Start with the kids parents, or the factory owners, or the government.
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak!

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 10:47:41 PM »
Good point.

So we can't help them?

Engine Driver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 11:21:09 PM »
IMHO we do help them, by buying the things they make.
 Personally I would sooner buy something they have made that I want/need than just hand over some cash, which always somehow seems to "go adrift" before it gets to those it was intended for.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:24:58 PM by Engine Driver »
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak!

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 08:13:29 AM »
I don't remember demanding cheaper clothes from a supermarket. Come to think of it,  I don't remember asking a supermarket for clothes at all. Pity they ever went 'non-food' in my view, did enormous harm to local economies everywhere.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »
@ Engine Driver, some of these countries are years behind us when it comes to sending children to work. The UK did it years ago when the children were sent out in the fields or down the pits. I agree it is up to their government to make things 'better' for these people.
We now have our own poverty  problems and any decent parent will want to see their children clothed.

@ Dave, there was a period of time in Chesterfield where buying children s clothes became quite difficult as we saw Littlewoods and Woolworths close down, it left the Co-op and M&S. School clothes were difficult to buy unless it was sports wear of course.
The tesco's and Primark improved this.

If we had an improvement on manufacturers who made clothes in this country we would see clothes much more expensive going on the shelves - many can't afford to pay a lot.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »
Called in the new Boyes store today. Spent £17 on stuff. Saved us about £5 if we'd bought the items from elsewhere.
Also been in PoundWorld, spent £25. Mini Cheddars 1/2 price of Tescos. Mitchum deodorant, 1/3rd the price.
We've literally saved £30 by coming to town today.
Branded products at knock down prices, how does that make Chesterfield look cheap  ;)

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk