Author Topic: What was you favourite toy as a child  (Read 2155 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
What was you favourite toy as a child
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »
Most of us would have had a favourite toy when children.
Mine was a walkiing doll. When I held her hands she would walk moving her head
On one occasion her eyes went into her head  :'( and mum sent her to the dolls hospital and had them fitted back in  :)
Anyone else had a favourite toy (Apart from Fly who likes Barbie Dolls )
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: What was you favourite toy as a child
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 11:04:41 PM »
Meccano, Bayko building set
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 07:42:19 AM »
Mine was a plastic steering wheel that stuck on the dashboard of my Dad's car so that  I could 'steer'  just like him. I'd be propped up on cushions so I could see over the dashboard of his Austin A40 (this was back in the 1950s). We often drove all the way from Middlesex, my Mum's family home, to Lincolnshire, where he'd been posted to an RAF airfield, like that. He also used to let me sit on his lap and steer his car down the road where we lived - that's how my passion for cars started - thanks Dad!  :)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 08:29:18 AM »
Lego set, then Meccano, then an electronics kit. See a rhythm starting here LOL
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 09:12:57 AM »
Meccano and Lego Technic
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 10:35:20 AM »
Meccano, Bayko building set

BTW, didn't do me any good as I'm cr@p at DIY!!!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »
@Big Dave, I too had one of those steering wheels, but had forgot about it! Cream with red horn push and gear know if I remember rightly? I still have the same squeaky horn, now it's on my Skoda Octavia!!

Like you I used to sit on my Dad and Grandads laps (not at the same time!) and steer ('sit up and beg' Ford Popular and Wolseley 4/50). Beauty of living in a small village was there were plenty of quiet country lanes!  ;)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:59:49 AM »
Didn't have many toys as such, but I did like the Bayko building outfit and my bike would be the nearest to toys.

My fave was a book called "The Boy Electrician". Loved it!  http://bit.ly/1oXEwgs
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »
Corgi (what else?!!) cars, always preferred them to Dinky as they had 'windows', jewelled headlights and opening doors etc.

My favourite was the A60 learner driver car, where you could steer it using the 'wheel' on the roof!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
Mine was a plastic steering wheel that stuck on the dashboard of my Dad's car so that  I could 'steer'  just like him. I'd be propped up on cushions so I could see over the dashboard of his Austin A40 (this was back in the 1950s). We often drove all the way from Middlesex, my Mum's family home, to Lincolnshire, where he'd been posted to an RAF airfield, like that. He also used to let me sit on his lap and steer his car down the road where we lived - that's how my passion for cars started - thanks Dad!  :)

My uncle was in the airforce back then Dave flight LT I think, small world as they may have crossed paths back then.

My other love when young was dressing the cut out card board dolls with different clothes, they had little 'tabs' on them to hook over the dolls shoulders and sides.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:49:44 AM by Old Cruser »

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 04:54:32 PM »
Very like this (though this one is American). As my Dad never threw anything away I wouldn't be surprised if one of his great grandchildren isn't using it now. I musy have driven thousands of miles with that wheel!

Pam - Dad started off at RAF Lakenheath, then RAF Cardington, RAF Strubby, RAF Khormaskar, RAF Masirah, RAF Greenham Common, RAF Lyneham, RAF Bruggen, RAF Laarbruch (I've probably forgotten a few). The funny thing was, he was a civilian though given the honorary rank of Squadron Leader from Lyneham onwards. He finally worked with the army in Germany - honorary Major...

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 07:21:37 PM »
Depends what age. I was quite obsessed with football so had a lot of related games from ones with cards to Subbuteo

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »
Very like this (though this one is American). As my Dad never threw anything away I wouldn't be surprised if one of his great grandchildren isn't using it now. I musy have driven thousands of miles with that wheel!

Pam - Dad started off at RAF Lakenheath, then RAF Cardington, RAF Strubby, RAF Khormaskar, RAF Masirah, RAF Greenham Common, RAF Lyneham, RAF Bruggen, RAF Laarbruch (I've probably forgotten a few). The funny thing was, he was a civilian though given the honorary rank of Squadron Leader from Lyneham onwards. He finally worked with the army in Germany - honorary Major...

I was actually a child when he was in many of his postings Dave, but I remember he did three year stints abroad and in the UK. We went over to stay with them when he was in Malta he was also in Singapore I seem to think he maybe stayed there 6 years though.
They lived a different life to us that I do know.

Any age Slacker, is Subbuteo still on the shelves then?

As I got old enough to read I enjoyed reading  Polyanna, Jo's Boys and any Enid Blyton books - not forgetting Huffy Puffy the train

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk