Author Topic: Speed Limits  (Read 2501 times)

Umpire

• View Profile
Speed Limits
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:14:38 PM »
I have been out and about this week.Twice I have been on the M1 in the  50mph average speed  area  between J29 and J28.On both occasions I was in lane 1 doing spot on 50mph  and was flashed at and pipped at presumably to speed up but  neither of the cars offered to get in lane 2 and overtake.

On Tuesday I was on the M55 in Cheshire where a similar average speed system is  active.The number of cars that flew past me doing between 60 and 80 was unbelievable.Did they know something I did not?

I would say three points and a £60 fine is beckoning for many of them

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Speed Limits
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »
Probably practicing for the new speed limit they may be putting in.
One can never go fast enough for some on the roads.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »
Agree with everything you say Umpire.
My current school contract doesn't involve the M1 so I'm glad of that.
I don't take chances with the temp yellow average speed cameras on motorways, what I have been told is,
the static overhead cameras, eg, M1 J28 - J26? are only active when there is a speed limit actually lit up on it  ;)
Not that I drive above a speed limit, Cough  ::)

@OC, motorways should be 80mph. Drivers who poddle along doing 60 may as well use the A roads.
They are not benefiting from being on a motorway, and are probably more prone to fall asleep through boredom. IMHO
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:18:25 PM »
I won't ever agree with the 80 mph. Don't mind doing 70 mph but how many of us are able to react at high speed. We haven't the training and with so much traffic on motorways would never stand a chance.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »
I won't ever agree with the 80 mph. Don't mind doing 70 mph but how many of us are able to react at high speed. We haven't the training and with so much traffic on motorways would never stand a chance.

Id agree but if people used the motorways properly...
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 09:01:28 PM »
I may be biased cos I do 900 miles a week on various roads.
No one gets training for motorway driving. You pass your test, you're allowed on a motorway.
Is that part of the problem.
If people don't have the confidence or experience to travel at speed on motorways, perhaps they should stick to the A roads.
They won't benefit from using a motorway. Just hinder others.
On the other hand, we all have to learn somewhere, is it now right to make motorway driving part of the driving test.
Is it now right to bring the legal age of drinking to 21.
Both these rules were fine when I passed that age, why change them now !

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:25:42 PM »
The motorway speed limits were set when cars struggled to do 70mph and their brakes had an even harder time slowing them down. Modern cars could cruise at 80 without problems. I'd agree with Fly, driving at 50-60 on a motorway I can tell you every song that's been on the radio and whats happening on the side of the road. At 70-80 I'm concentrating 100% on driving
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »
After passing my test I had a Ford 2ltr estate to drive.

I passed with BSM and asked for a motorway lesson ( more confidence than anything) plus an hour parking it up in the squashy old multi storey car park off Park Road.

It might sound daft to some but it was a big car for a new driver and I needed tips on this.
It was worth the few extra quid as I don't have any problems with parking up unlike some I have watched.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 10:57:55 PM »
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but Motorways have been around for 40-50 years.
Everyday Motorway drivers are fine & safe, but the occasional user...?
I personally think (I'm not aiming at young drivers here) that motorway tuition should become part of the driving test - although I understand some instructers include this as part of their training as an extra.
Its the twonks on the phone - even hands free- that lose concentration whilst driving.
Most cars will cruise quite happily @ 70mph - frankly I think we should stay with that for the time being, otherwise we run the risk of over-complicating things.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 09:31:34 AM »
Motorbike tests have got tougher and tougher over the years compared with car tests, you have to demonstrate an element of skill before you can take to the road.
In general bikers put themselves at risk, drivers are a bigger risk to other road users.
May be time to toughen test.

Spire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 11:30:36 AM »
When I am in the Motorway road works with speed restrictions I just put the cruise control on set to the max speed allowed, then I do not have to worry about speeding :)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »
When I am in the Motorway road works with speed restrictions I just put the cruise control on set to the max speed allowed, then I do not have to worry about speeding :)

Haven't got a cruise control on my car  :-[

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 07:05:03 PM »
Better change your name then :)

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 08:28:35 PM »
Talking about motor cycle tests takes me back.When I took mine you did a figure 8 down Elder Way along Knifesmithgate along Cavendish Street,up Saltergate back down Elder Way then right on Rose Hill up the side of the Town Hall  back down Saltergate down Elder Way and so on.
At some point on the test the examiner would jump out from between two stationary cars and you had to do your emergeny stop and that was it.
Crash helmets were not compulsary then  and  two weeks after I passed my test I was followed and pulled over by the police at Unstone for doing 32mph in a 30 zone.He gave me a right rollicking because in those days many youngsters were killed driving motor bikes.In fact about a year later a mate of mine was killed  outside Coalite when he hit a lamp post.I decided then to get my car licence and be much safer.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 08:39:06 PM »
A wise move there Umpire.

Must admit, I can see the attraction of motorcycles, but am very aware of the dangers, not least, the number of dumbo drivers out there...

Give me a car any day. :)
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk