Author Topic: Celebrating 100 Years of Buses in Chesterfield  (Read 11981 times)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Celebrating 100 Years of Buses in Chesterfield
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 09:21:49 PM »
Nice shots eabbus. Bit better than some I saw on FB.
clay cross bus station. would someone rotate them for me please. thank you. xx
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 09:48:18 PM »
Shame mate  :(
Bet the drivers feel a bit proud doing the run.
Or have they been selected from time served drivers, or ex drivers cum management ?
Bit of both mate - drivers combined with managers & members who maintain preserved buses from their own pockets, and the one in regular service bus thats been painted up for the centenary 34720 previously painted in East Midland colours. Its nice I guess that our assistant operation manager actually owns a couple of the coaches seen, & his passion crosses over into our operations.
He's a really nice bloke, & will drive buses in service when theres a real shortage of drivers, not many managers will do that.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 09:52:41 PM »
I wish they would have run them in the daytime maybe Sunday, wasn't able to get out to look at them and I know hubby would have enjoyed it
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »
Scimitar, I asked Colin about the preserved spire sprinter and apparently it's laid up likely to never work again. Shame really as there were a lot of minibuses not too long ago.
I know a bit about this, not too much though. I think only one of the last Mercs was bought by an enthusiast for preservation, I won't name him because I'm semi - related by family but have lost contact with him, and don't know why he hasn't shown the bus recently. I know he had the pick of the bunch that were left, but they had all been flogged to death - so maybe its an unviable concern to keep it running/moreover roadworthy. That's all I know matey.

eabbus

• bus man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 11:30:30 PM »
I saw them pictures on facebook fly, there were a few uploaded before I'd even got back in the house from following the buses back!
It's a shame nothing can be done for the merc. They were a lot better than the newer n and p plated manuals although all the heaters were stuck on hot towards the end, I also had one that wouldn't turn off when I turned the key aswell!

eabbus

• bus man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 11:40:17 PM »
Just edited one taken at north wingfield church. I've made it look a bit more fitting with the older vehicles

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 07:49:33 PM »
Amazing how many different buses there are out there. Wish we saw more of the open topped buses around here.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 11:12:05 PM »
Not disability compliant though- only runs on special occasions

eabbus

• bus man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 07:59:13 AM »
No buses without low floor can operate in service from 2015. From a passenger point of view I suppose it will be better but from a driver point of view I loved the better ride from a step entrance vehicle (but not Dennis darts I wanted to dismantle them things)

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 09:37:16 AM »
Wish we saw more of the open topped buses around here.

What, on service 51 in December?!!!  >; MD
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
Not disability compliant though- only runs on special occasions

Doubt that would matter in the case of discrimination Scimitar, in some cases it's just not possible or cost effective to make things/places accessible.Look at the Crich Trams for instance, they have many trams running but only run the accessible one when needed.
Question - does any where in Derbyshire run open topped or ordinary ones for sight seeing as we see in other places. Can't say I have ever seen any myself?

Slacker - if it dry in December I can put my long Johns and thermal vest on - would be pleased to freeze on the top deck  :)

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »
Doubt that would matter in the case of discrimination Scimitar, in some cases it's just not possible or cost effective to make things/places accessible.Look at the Crich Trams for instance, they have many trams running but only run the accessible one when needed.
Question - does any where in Derbyshire run open topped or ordinary ones for sight seeing as we see in other places. Can't say I have ever seen any myself?

Slacker - if it dry in December I can put my long Johns and thermal vest on - would be pleased to freeze on the top deck  :)

Andrews of Tideswell had a/some open top buses I think, not sure if they run sight seeing trips though.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 01:53:06 AM »
I think our open topper can run in full service and take fare paying passengers because its owned by stagecoach & maintained by them too.
However its only likely to appear in the summer months when our AOM wants to delight the bus passengers by putting in service. It is after all 1973 bus, but its pretty much as new.
Expect to see it if Chesterfield F.C. get promoted ;D

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »
That's a pity Scimitar as I am sure there must be a money spinner in it - even if they invested in a new bus.
I can understand them not using the old one it needs preserving

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk