Author Topic: Post Office in smith's 'A shambles' do you agree?  (Read 2225 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Post Office in smith's 'A shambles' do you agree?
« on: April 03, 2014, 03:22:37 PM »
We have been hearing from people who have been into Smiths to use the Post Office, first report was 'the counters sit in well' After that it's been moans of long ques and fed up customers.
I'm not sure why they thought it was ever going to be 'a good idea' to move it into this small shop.
I feel sorry for the staff as it must be a shambles to try and work round all those people.
Has anyone had first hand experience of it this week?

Angry Post Office customers have slammed the service as “shambolic” and “a joke” after the operation faced a chaotic first week following its move to WH Smith’s.

Chesterfield Crown Post Office shut down last Wednesday and moved its service from Market Place to a new home in The Pavements.

Bosses say feedback has so far been positive but the Derbyshire Times has been inundated with furious customers claiming they were facing queues of up to one hour.

Jane Thiele, 41, of Somersall Lane said: “It’s become a joke.

“The idea to move the shop here was definitely not thought through properly.”

Customer Tyler Shortland, 28, of Linden Avenue, added: “It’s a nightmare. You can’t just nip out on your lunch break to send a letter any more, its impossible with the amount of people waiting.”

Mum-of-three Sarah Johnson, 36, was also queuing.

She said: “People shouldn’t have to wait this long just to buy a stamp. It’s a waste of my time. At least at the last Post Office there was somewhere to sit, but now I’m having to juggle my bags and the kids squashed in this line.”

Chesterfield was one of about 70 Crown Post Offices earmarked for franchise to ensure branch was sustainable and no longer reliable on Government funding. Only one member of staff transferred to WH Smith but the Post Office said there had been no compulsory redundancies.

Derbyshire Times Facebook friends have also criticised the controversial move.

Laura Anne Batterham said: “I went on opening day and I spoke to a few elderly customers who were in great discomfort at standing for extended periods of time .

“It’s so much smaller than the old place which being in a retail store I understand but for a main town centre post office this is nothing short of shambolic.”

Louise Evill added: “Had to queue out of the door on Monday, hardly any seats for the elderly so they have to stand in a very long queue.”

India Jay Tromans said: “Stupid idea. Far too small for the amount of customers.

“My mum had to queue for an hour the other day just to withdraw money as there’s no longer a post office cash machine.”

But the Post Office has hit back at criticism saying the move promises extended opening hours and access seven-days-a-week.

A spokesman said: “We have been pleased with customers’ overall reaction to the service.

“We have had positive feedback on the look and layout with many people telling us that they are surprised that the Post Office area has so much space in WH Smith.”

He added the service experienced minor technical issue with one of the counters on Monday, meaning it could not be used.

“We would like to apologise to any customers who had to wait longer than usual because of this fault, but also wish to assure them that we are confident that the service at the new branch is of high quality and will meet their expectations,” he said.

MORE STORIES
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Big Dave

• View Profile
Re: Post Office in smith's 'A shambles' do you agree?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:23:03 PM »
Hopefully people will realise the value of their local sub-post offices and use them more. I haven't used the one in town for over a year and after reading reports of the chaos in Smiths, I definitely won't be in the future. My O/H was passing so called in there this morning - the queues were very long, OAPs were complaining about having nowhere to sit, service was slow with only four cashiers (two more were doing foreign exchange apparently and serving 'ordinary customers' when they felt like it).
However, I can't understand why people queue just to buy a stamp; they're available in so many other places than post offices or just to post a letter - why...?? Also, I'd like to know where the PO spokesman obtained his positive feedback - in his dreams I suspect!

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:27:08 PM »
Post offices are not the multi-use places they once wore. Wages and benefits are paid into the bank. Most financial transaction and thinks such as car tax are done online. Village and estate post offices have gone because locals stopped supporting the shops that contained them.

Having said that the one in the Co-op at Grangewood provides a good service without massive queues

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »
Anyone else noticed how they've 'conveniently' moved/changed the counters and window displays in Smiths so that you can no longer see the queues for the Post Office - or am I just being cynical?!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »
I was chatting to one of the staff from Smith's who I know. The person isn't on the post office side.
What I was told was that contrary to claims of queuing to the shop door it was in fact to the end of the aisle across from the book section.
Still quite a queue though considering how it snakes around from the P.O counters.
When I went in I did have to go right into the P.O area to see where things were.
As for the window displays I didn't take much notice

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:45:03 PM »
Post offices are not the multi-use places they once wore. Wages and benefits are paid into the bank. Most financial transaction and thinks such as car tax are done online. Village and estate post offices have gone because locals stopped supporting the shops that contained them.

Having said that the one in the Co-op at Grangewood provides a good service without massive queues

There are still plenty of our seniors like to use Post Office services.  My mother in law wouldn't entertain her pension being paid anywhere but her post office account and it was collected religiously every week.  All her bills were paid there too.  None of this online malarkey for her.   :)

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 06:42:31 AM »
It may have been busy because of its own popularity and people were curious when it first opened.

Don't forget the DT loves bad news stories and puts a negative slant on anything it can

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 02:34:56 PM »
It may have been busy because of its own popularity and people were curious when it first opened.

Don't forget the DT loves bad news stories and puts a negative slant on anything it can

Nah, don't agree there, only place that I've seen the store busy with customers is the magazine section where they all grab a free read!!

Didn't give much for the old boys chances yesterday, saw him going in on his mobility scooter and couldn't imagine him negotiating the PO slalom queue barriers!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »
Nah, don't agree there, only place that I've seen the store busy with customers is the magazine section where they all grab a free read!!

Didn't give much for the old boys chances yesterday, saw him going in on his mobility scooter and couldn't imagine him negotiating the PO slalom queue barriers!
[/b][/i]

:-X  :-X

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk