Author Topic: Grossly Unfair  (Read 3758 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Grossly Unfair
« on: December 19, 2011, 06:50:11 PM »
Not sure if this is the right section for this post - but here goes:

My Mother went into permanent residential care in December 2010 and she had to sell her bungalow in order to pay the care home fees (she is fully self funding).

I don't have a particular problem with that, but what has got my goat is this, because she is in receipt of pension credit and is in residential care she doesn't qualify for the winter fuel allowance.

I'm unhappy about this in two respects:

1. Although she doesn't pay anything directly to the energy companies she does indirectly via her care home fees. Any increase in heating costs etc paid by the care home is taken into account when the annual fee reviews take place.

2. How come someone with limited income/savings isn't eligible, when it's bandied in the news that several 'OAP' celebrities (eg Joanna Lumley/June Whitfield et al) are donating their winter fuel allowances to charity?  >:(
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: Grossly Unfair
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 07:00:35 PM »
I agree, it's not fair - and to add to the mix, when I hit 60 I qualified for the fuel allowance. Now I'm on an adequate income, my wife works and the kids had left home...

It doesn't make sense.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 10:34:03 PM »
Dogboy, I'd check this out.
Mum is in exactly the same boat but she DOES get the winter payment all be it at a lower amount as she is not heating her own home.
We even contacted the DSS to offer to send it back but were told she was entitled to it.
PM Mycul on Facebook (till he finally sees sense and appears on here) he will probably have the contact details.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:50:23 AM »
Do ex-pats living in warmer climates still get winter fuel allowance.

Pete J may know, has he joined us?

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 10:11:43 AM »
Mum is in exactly the same boat but she DOES get the winter payment all be it at a lower amount as she is not heating her own home.
We even contacted the DSS to offer to send it back but were told she was entitled to it.
PM Mycul on Facebook (till he finally sees sense and appears on here) he will probably have the contact details.

Will do - thanks for that  ;)
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 10:39:35 AM »
Who is Pete J?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »
Indalhombre

k4blades

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
Yes, this is very unfair, it is also unfair that he very rich get heating allowance, as do those living in sunny climes. The only real solution is means testing which isn't popular politically but I think it must happen.
Either you spread the funding thinly between everyone, or you give a bit more and focus on those who need it, as long as someone is prepared to say who deserves it, and who doesn't.

The other side of the coin though is that if money is only paid out to those with no savings or assets, then the incentive is not there to save and build up assets for later in life, so more people then become dependent on the state. I think its an area that definitely needs looking at, but there are no easy answers, so politicians demote it to the back-boiler.

Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 05:34:05 PM »
Yes, this is very unfair, it is also unfair that he very rich get heating allowance, as do those living in sunny climes. The only real solution is means testing which isn't popular politically but I think it must happen.
Either you spread the funding thinly between everyone, or you give a bit more and focus on those who need it, as long as someone is prepared to say who deserves it, and who doesn't.

The other side of the coin though is that if money is only paid out to those with no savings or assets, then the incentive is not there to save and build up assets for later in life, so more people then become dependent on the state. I think its an area that definitely needs looking at, but there are no easy answers, so politicians demote it to the back-boiler.

Well for a start mainly I agree with you and maybe the Government should look at phasing it
in untill your 65, if working and means test if not, A similar way to phasing in the free bus passes
until your 65

mycul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »

Finally catching up with things, been busy with a 2 billion pound contract.
Yes, mum does get the winter allowance even though she is in residential care.
Seems daft to me but I will accept £250.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk