Author Topic: Warning about increased fire risk caused by illegal cigarettes  (Read 1523 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Warning about increased fire risk caused by illegal cigarettes
« on: December 19, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
Never been a smoker so this don't understand the information below that well.
However I am sure any who smokes will so thought I would pass it on

Smokers are being warned about the increased fire as well as health risks of buying cheap illicit cigarettes.

All the illicit tobacco products we have seized in recent raids were missing vital safety features which help to prevent house fires.

Since 2011 all cigarettes sold in the UK should by law be manufactured with narrow bands of fire retardant paper, called 'speed bumps', which greatly reduce the risk of them continuing to burn if they are left unattended, such as when they are dropped or a smoker falls asleep.

An accredited laboratory carried out tests on 18 samples collected from nine Derbyshire shops using an ignition trial. Only one of the samples passed the test but this was from a little known legitimate brand which had been smuggled into the country.

Councillor Ellie Wilcox, our Deputy Cabinet Member for Health and Communities, said:

"The fire risks of fake tobacco are all the more reason for people not to smoke. But if they choose to do so they should buy tobacco from a legitimate local shop.

"It's no surprise that criminals involved in the illegal tobacco trade are prepared to risk even more lives by flouting safety laws designed to protect people from house fires.

"We know that smoking any kind of tobacco is potentially lethal but the illegal trade threatens to undermine every effort to regulate smoking and discourage people from starting.

"This is by no means a victimless crime. It has a damaging effect on our local communities and honest business owners."

The majority of cigarettes seized by our trading standard team were either brands made purely for the illicit trade including Jin Ling, Pect, Excellence, New Line, Viceroy and Goal, or counterfeit versions of legitimate brands such as Palace, Mayfair, Benson and Hedges and Regal made in illegal factories. Neither type complied with European safety standards.

All the shops and individuals responsible for selling the illegal products are subject to ongoing investigation
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

NolanRatleys

• View Profile
Re: Warning about increased fire risk caused by illegal cigarettes
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 07:04:14 AM »

Smokers are being warned about the increased fire as well as health risks of buying cheap illicit cigarettes.

All the illicit tobacco products we have seized in recent raids were missing vital safety features which help to prevent house fires.

Since 2011 all cigarettes sold in the UK should by law be manufactured with narrow bands of fire retardant paper, called 'speed bumps', which greatly reduce the risk of them continuing to burn if they are left unattended, such as when they are dropped or a smoker falls asleep.

An accredited laboratory carried out tests on 18 samples collected from nine Derbyshire shops using an ignition trial. Only one of the samples passed the test but this was from a little known legitimate brand which had been smuggled into the country.

Councillor Ellie Wilcox, our Deputy Cabinet Member for Health and Communities, said:

"The fire risks of fake tobacco are all the more reason for people not to smoke. But if they choose to do so they should buy tobacco from a legitimate local shop.

"It's no surprise that criminals involved in the illegal tobacco trade are prepared to risk even more lives by flouting safety laws designed to protect people from house fires.

"We know that smoking any kind of tobacco is potentially lethal but the illegal trade threatens to undermine every effort to regulate smoking and discourage people from starting.

"This is by no means a victimless crime. It has a damaging effect on our local communities and honest business owners."

The majority of cigarettes seized by our trading standard team were either brands made purely for the illicit trade including Jin Ling, Pect, Excellence, New Line, Viceroy and Goal, or counterfeit versions of legitimate brands such as Palace, Mayfair, Benson and Hedges and Regal made in illegal factories. Neither type complied with European safety standards.

All the shops and individuals responsible for selling the illegal products are subject to ongoing investigation
Well best is to quit smoking and release your worries of legal and illegal smoking..I hope you all will agree..

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »
Welcome to chesterfieldonline NR   :)

2 years ago I might have had a different view on smoking, so no comment from me  ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 10:45:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum Nolan.

I suppose it's easier said than done to quit smoking altogether but it is quite a worry when the alternatives become unsafe as in causing a fire.

Can I ask if you are an ex smoker Nolan?

NolanRatleys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »

Since 2011 all cigarettes sold in the
e cigarette wholesaler should by law be manufactured with narrow bands of fire retardant paper, called 'speed bumps', which greatly reduce the risk of them continuing to burn if they are left unattended, such as when they are dropped or a smoker falls asleep.

Well best is to quit smoking and release your worries of legal and illegal smoking..I hope you all will agree..

I never smoke..

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:12:37 AM »
But you quote a lot.....  ;)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »
I never smoke..

Like you Nolan I have never smoked but I can appreciate how difficult it is for those who have smoked and want to quit.
The E Cigs are I suppose a lifeline in anyone attempt to quit.

I'm not sure if they have identified why some of these E Cig chargers have caught fire, my concern at a meeting where fire officers came to talk was that my daughter was trying them and being a wheelchair user wouldn't be able to get out of her bungalow in time.
I believe that 'some' E Cigs are in house sockets and some into PC's.
Haven't heard any updates as to whether they have found out where the problem lies though - have you heard anything?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 10:00:24 AM »
I'm not sure if they have identified why some of these E Cig chargers have caught fire

Cheap nasty units swamping the market.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk