Author Topic: Chesterfield Haunted places  (Read 14639 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield Haunted places
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »
 ;) Yes I am sure Alsatian knows I am only joking with him (but pleese don't tell him I said that  ;))

I used to work in woollies always lots of talk about the fire, first I knew of the soldier though and yes I suppose that could be right as Chesterfield had the Romans, I believe Newbold was the township then? Gosh it's a long time since I did Local History  :) old mind forgets more than it remembers  :)

Wasn't their a chappie years ago who looked into the woollies haunting I think he's passed away now wrote some books?
Amazing what can be picked up with the right equipment I suppose.
Does it ever bother you? I think most people are scared of the unknown aren't they if they are not involved in the posibility of another world as you are.

Anyone who has had unexplained things have I had must be interested so you probably have a good following.

Logic is always my first thoughts but we can't always explain some things can we. Didn't generally bother me much although just on the one occasion I was really scared, and I never did like the awful smell I got which meant the death was coming of someone I knew though.

Still trying to explain the lovely perfume I got last week, went round sniffing at things  :) happened three times in all, will never know but as my mum recently passed away it has crossed my mind it had something to do with that. Will never know and as I have said things like that don't happen very often these days (must have tuned out  :) )
Good luck with the hunting keep us informed on your findings.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

ChesterfieldGhosthunters

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 06:43:10 PM »
;) Yes I am sure Alsatian knows I am only joking with him (but pleese don't tell him I said that  ;))

I used to work in woollies always lots of talk about the fire, first I knew of the soldier though and yes I suppose that could be right as Chesterfield had the Romans, I believe Newbold was the township then? Gosh it's a long time since I did Local History  :) old mind forgets more than it remembers  :)

Wasn't their a chappie years ago who looked into the woollies haunting I think he's passed away now wrote some books?
Amazing what can be picked up with the right equipment I suppose.
Does it ever bother you? I think most people are scared of the unknown aren't they if they are not involved in the posibility of another world as you are.

Anyone who has had unexplained things have I had must be interested so you probably have a good following.

Logic is always my first thoughts but we can't always explain some things can we. Didn't generally bother me much although just on the one occasion I was really scared, and I never did like the awful smell I got which meant the death was coming of someone I knew though.

Still trying to explain the lovely perfume I got last week, went round sniffing at things  :) happened three times in all, will never know but as my mum recently passed away it has crossed my mind it had something to do with that. Will never know and as I have said things like that don't happen very often these days (must have tuned out  :) )
Good luck with the hunting keep us informed on your findings.

I am not sure about the 'chappie' that looked into the haunting although there are alot of books around for chesterfield.  The original 2 are: Ghosts in and around chesterfield and the sequel more ghosts in and around chesterfield.  I am not sure if they can be bought anymore but they are in the reference part of the library :) the latest one is Haunted Chesterfield which has some more modern hauntings. 

It never bothers me no as I have been ghost hunting for 7 years now and have seen things to put your hair on end lol.  one of the most haunted places is Eyre Chapel in Newbold.  We have around 5000 friends on facebook so there is some interest yes lol

The smell you had when death was coming is a common occurrence with different people experiencing different things.  When I was in Secondary school I arrived home one evening and my Mum sat my brother and I down and said to us "your grandad will die tonight" he was in hospital and had been for a while.  she knew this because she was busy doing some sweeping in our shed outside and a black shadow appeared in the shed and flew out the door.  It had no form to it and was essentially a black shape but my mum knew what it was.

The perfume could be a result of your mums passing as once they are on that side they do like to keep a check on us lol my Nana announces herself with a smell of cigarette smoke as she died from lung cancer and that was the smell we all associated with her.

We have had 3 different house clearances to do over the last few weeks and we have another one tonite.  They have all been various physical phenomena things moving and footsteps being heard.  the last one we attended was a lady who was stood in her kitchen talking on the phone and someone distinctly said to her "here" in a really rough voice...its all good fun lol

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 08:16:13 PM »
The Woolies fire saw the deaths of five children who were due to dance as snowmen in an intermission in a film at the cinema that stood on the site, over the Christmas period of 1911, I think. They were crammed into a small dressing room that had a guarded fire in it, but one got too close and her costume caught fire. In her panic, she ran around the room, spreading the fire to other kids' costumes. A chum's wife used to work there, and there were stories of being able to hear screams in certain parts of the store, I gather.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Glad to see you posting again CG  ;)

Although I'm a bit dubious/sceptical of this thing myself, I do look forward to reading your posts.
We all have strange experiences in life we can't evaluate or understand.

Barry. (Fly)
Not Mr Mod  MD
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »
I had the books CG but think I passed them onto my nephew a few years ago. I had it in my mind that the person who wrote them had been in the old woollies site but from what you say he didn't.
The old Scarsedale hospital sounded haunted from what I remember reading.
The first experience I had was a year after my grandfather passed away ( I was his first grandchild and we were very close spending a lot of time together until his death) that also began with me smelling flowers in my dining room - no one else could smell them and yes--- again I was sniffing at the carpet and curtains  ;D it got very strong over a period of a week and I realised the flowers were Fuchia's.
I eventually linked this to my grandfather as the year before (New years day) he joined us all to eat a wonderful meal Christmas day Style (of course it was wonderful - cos I cooked it  :)) )This smell came inbetween Christmas and the New Year.
I was pretty confused about all this and wanted answers as you can imagine.
The flowers were followed by the smell of fag smoke (we don't smoke) and my grandfather also smoked.
This was back in the 80's and I still miss him and visit his grave with flowers.
 Stuart I worked in the new woollies but talk still went on about the fire, at the Christmas party one year down in the staff area someone took a ouija board - they scared themselves silly with that - I won't take part in using them as we hear such bad tales about them.
CG is that a site you have been able to visit?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »
Sorry I think it was the old royal hospital I think and the end sentence to CG was meant to ask have you visited that site --- hubby keeps interupting me  :)

~Aitch~

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 12:35:01 PM »
A few years ago I went on a ghost hunt in Old Whittington Church yard.  Everybody who was there enthusiastically discussed what they had felt, seen or heard but, for me, it was just a midnight mooch in a grave yard.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 02:52:11 PM »
Aitch - it probably would have been the same for me as well. I don't think it is something we can choose to get to grips with - but I am sure CG will throw light on it.
I think it can be a gift and people either work at furthering it or don't bother and lose it. Also think there are nutters out there as well, but that of course is just my opinion.
As for me - I don't know and always look towards logic, but somethings just cannot be explained.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk