Author Topic: Three Railways at Horns Bridge  (Read 17716 times)

Bollans

Re: Three Railways at Horns Bridge
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 07:05:30 AM »
Indeed it was Mabel and Norman, seen here at my parents wedding (the couple on the far left)
sorry if the photo goes off thread.

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 03:19:28 PM »
Indeed it was Mabel and Norman, seen here at my parents wedding (the couple on the far left)
sorry if the photo goes off thread.

I recognise Mabel - she's far left.  Norman I'm guessing is next to her.  I don't remember him so well, but Mabel was an absolute icon!  Always had a smile as I recall.  I really must root round for those pics now!   ;D

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 04:02:43 PM »
Found another - this time when Horns Bridge was flooded. Maybe one of the houses opposite was where Gert's nan lived?

Yes it certainly was, though I think her house is just out of the shot.  It was in the middle of the row showing on the right hand side.   :D

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
Re: Three Railways at Horns Bridge - pics found!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 09:21:58 PM »
Pic as promised.  My own nan is far left, with Bollans nan in white blouse, kneeling at front with her arm round Jim Redfern.  Jim's wife Hilda is on the right and they both ran the sweetshop a few doors down from The Horns Hotel towards the bridges.  I don't know the other people.

I'd probably have more if I looked but it really WOULD take me ages.  I knew where to find this one as I'd earmarked it for a memory album (which I've still not done - smack wrist!)

I'm unclear as to what year this was taken.  I'm guessing late forties, going by my nan's appearance.  Anyway, there we are - enjoy!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:24:10 PM by Gerty Gumdrop »

Bollans

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 02:46:24 PM »
Wow, There is no doubt, that is Mabel, and Norman is no where to be seen, probably doing all the behind the scenes chores while Mabel plays the Hostess with the Mostest.
Mabel had quite a few affairs by all accounts, she was a well known character around Chesterfield. She had 2 children, Harry (my dad) and Margaret
and as mothers go she was sadly lacking. Dad left home and lived with his Gran at an early age. My mam and Mabel merely tolerated each other.
My Aunty Margaret is still alive and well and living in Holymoorside, her eyes are bad but i'll send the picture to my cousin Elaine and see if they can suss out the names of the others in the pic.

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 06:11:27 PM »
Ooooh heck, I didn't know that.   Still, why would I?  I was only little.  My main recollection is of sitting on a high stool (probably in the off-sales) eating Smiths crisps with the blue bag of salt in it.

I'm so glad  that you're happy to see the photo, despite the family background.  Everyone's got skeletons in the cupboard somewhere.  My family are no exception!  Speaking of which, my lot are all gone now so unfortunately there's no-one I can ask for any more history.   :(

Bollans

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 12:30:42 PM »
It's the family background that make it interesting. I never lived in Chesterfield but my dad worked as a Technical Representative (a salesman with knowledge) for Bryan Donkins and of course his mam and dad and my mamas mam still lived there. my brother and i got dumped in Chesterfield for the summer holidays at my nans (mams mam). I loved it. and have always a soft spot for the place.
I have so many memories of Chesterfield, and stories that my mam and dad told me.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »
What a nice thread - I must post some more pictures :)
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk